Miss Clairol

Hi,

I'm sorry, I'm new to these add-ons, but sure am loving them!!   Can someone please help me clarify something?  I have FTX Global and Vector, now, what is the best next step,  FS Global Ultimate North America, or FTX OpenLC NA Alaska/Canada and FS Global 2010 X?  I'm using P3D v2.5 in case that is relevant to know.  Also, if I use FS Global Ultimate, are these stand alone products, or do I keep FTX Global and Vector installed??  I have FTX Pacific Northwest as well, is this supposed to be higher end than OpenLC NA, and can it stay installed with OpenLC or FS Global Utimate?   Many thanks to whoever is able to answer my question, this is quite the learning process!!  Thank you so much.

Hi Miss Clairol,

I asked myself these questions too before getting used to FTX and FS Global. I recommend you to download this PDF which is also accesible through FTX Central 2: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/91868-version-2-of-the-ftx-definitive-guide-is-now-available/

You don't have to read every single page of it, but you'll find the answers to all of your above questions and also much more in this guide.

Greetings,

Hi,

I'm sorry, I'm new to these add-ons, but sure am loving them!!   Can someone please help me clarify something?  I have FTX Global and Vector, now, what is the best next step,  FS Global Ultimate North America, or FTX OpenLC NA Alaska/Canada and FS Global 2010 X?  I'm using P3D v2.5 in case that is relevant to know.  Also, if I use FS Global Ultimate, are these stand alone products, or do I keep FTX Global and Vector installed??  I have FTX Pacific Northwest as well, is this supposed to be higher end than OpenLC NA, and can it stay installed with OpenLC or FS Global Utimate?   Many thanks to whoever is able to answer my question, this is quite the learning process!!  Thank you so much.

Hi Miss

Which of Ultimate/Global 2010 or OpenLC as a next step depends really where you fly most of the time. They are complementary products. 

Ultimate and "Global 2010" are the same kind of product, Ultimate being supposedly a little more precise than 2010. Both give you a much better relief than default. Sharper mountains, in a nutshell :). So if your favorite flying grounds are in hilly or mountainous regions, you will appreciate a good   mesh very much. Both are standalone products. You can use them without any other OrbX product. They are totally compatible with any OrbX product.   Be aware these meshes have a undesirable side effect outside your PNW region, some airports being elevated on a plateau or dug in a trench   but there are solutions to correct most (not all) of these problems. 

OpenLC NA is another animal altogether. It places your Global textures where they should be, and very often are not in the default sim: field textures are where fields are in the real world, same for forests, towns, villages; rocky outcrops etc.  Only that.  So, if flying VFR outside of the wilderness in a flatish region is your thing, you sure will appreciate to have a better representation of the landscape below you.

OpenLC and Vector are totally compatible your PNW scenery, but made to be used outside of it . PNW contains all the necessary layers. PNW on one side and Vector+OpenLC  can be installed in your P3D setup side by side. No need to uninstall one to get the other. You switch them in or out with FTX central :

- if you fly inside PNW, you will switch to the North America region and then FTXC will automatically disable Vector and OpenLC. Regarding the mesh, P3D will automatically select whatever is the best mesh, the PNW one or the Ultimate/Global 2010 one.

- if you fly between PNW and OpenLC NA, you select Global Hybrid

- If you fly only in OpenLC you select Global

Not so simple but It will become fast a second nature :).

Hope that helps a little bit.

Archived