Video capture hardware but which one?

Dazkent

Hi

I have started making videos of my flight experiences which really am enjoying and am currently using Fraps but of course this does come at a bit of a hit on the performance of the sim. One of the guys i watch on youtube mentioned he used a external capture device to record his video at very little performance cost. I have been doing a bit of research  and there seems to be quite a few available so I am not sure which one to get ( ones I see mentioned are Hauppage, Avermedia and Elgato)

Does anyone use one to record their footage as I really don't know which one to get. my flight rig has an I7 4770K  4ghz with GTX 770 2gb and I also have another pc that i used for daily use (dual core 3ghz with 560ti 1gb), maybe i could use my daily rig for recording?

Any thoughts really would be appreciated

many thanks

Daz

I was having no success with ShadowPlay and someone recommended  Bandicam to me. DL'd it but haven't checked it out yet. Freeware. He swears it's better than FRAPS. Let me if you it works. No link, sorry. The almighty Google is where I found it. Bandicam.

jsapair

Does anyone use one to record their footage as I really don't know which one to get. my flight rig has an I7 4770K  4ghz with GTX 770 2gb and I also have another pc that i used for daily use (dual core 3ghz with 560ti 1gb), maybe i could use my daily rig for recording?

You shouldn't need an external capture device. Your GTX 770 card supports Nvidia Shadowplay, which is hardware-based video capture with minimal impact on frame rates. I use it for Prepar3d and various games. It is primarily meant for capturing games running full-screen, but you can set Shadowplay to "Allow desktop capture", which is necessary for Prepar3d, because its full-screen mode is technically not full-screen, just windowed mode taking up the entire screen.

If for some reason you decide on an external capture device, it is very important to make sure it supports the monitor resolution you use, if you're running higher than 1920 x 1080. Several capture devices are primarily meant for consoles, which don't run higher than 1080p, so capture at higher resolutions are often not supported. I can recommend Elgato Game Capture, which I've used for console and PC capture (before Shadowplay was available on Nvidia cards), and it works reliably and is simple to use. However, it doesn't support any resolution beyond 1080p.

I was having no success with ShadowPlay and someone recommended  Bandicam to me. DL'd it but haven't checked it out yet. Freeware. He swears it's better than FRAPS. Let me if you it works. No link, sorry. The almighty Google is where I found it. Bandicam.

jsapair

I have used Bandicam. I thought it worked fine and did what I needed

Archived