FTX Global Base & Vector Info

jmorvay1971

All,

Over the weekend, I proceeded to perform a fresh install of my OS and of course, the long task of reinstalling all of my Flight Sim content.  When it came time to install FTX Global, I inadvertently installed the 1.10 release of global Base, as this was the go to install for it.  It wasn't until almost the end of the install when i received a "fatal exception error" but I wound up continuing the install, which appeared to complete.  The error occurred when FTX Central V1 opened up and I tried to click on the apply button, to apply the global base to the sim.  This happened three times in total, as I installed the 1.20 update and then later realized I had the 1.30 update as well and figured installing that would fix the problem but each time, I got the same fatal error, but still continued.  I did however, discover in FTX Central V2, that everything installed.  Should I have ignored the error as I did?  Errors like this I know can be fickle sometimes, either the install still works and others, you get problems later.

My second question is about Vector.  I own it and while I want to install it, the question is whether I truly need it installed.I bypassed it in favor installing all of my ORBX England, Ireland, Scotland, and wales as well as Iceland Demo scenery as well as OpenLC Europe.  I performed a flight last night from Gatwick to Rome and didn't see any issues that I could tell (I was at FL340 most of the flight).  I guess what I am asking is whether those errors I got before will cause an issue with proper scenery showing up and whether Vector is contingent upon successful terrain display.

I still have Pilot's FSGlobal 2010 mesh to install, but for now, I am just testing out the sim to ensure stability.  I'm taking things a bit slower right now to pinpoint whether the issues I had previously were due to several factors such as 3rd party add-ons, FSX settings, etc.  I'm in no rush right now as I just want to install everything correctly and safely.

Thanks,

-Jim

Hi Jim,

Was the "fatal exception error" the "normal" P3D 2.5 one where it can't find terrain.cfg?  If so, I guess all is normal and that's sorted by the Orbxlibs afterwards.

However, if it's something else like being unable to create a file, then that could be a problem.

AFAIK Vector isn't important for the full-fat areas, but it makes quite a difference in Global.

Good question Jabble!  The error states that it cannot access the FSX:SE restore.bat file through the steam path.  Now, could it be that my steam path doesn't start with steam but rather steam library?  For example, when steam is installed, you have C:\steam\...., but mine, I set it up as C:\steam library\.....  When I installed Global, I did not opt to backup my textures, so I immediately assumed that was why the install yelled at me but I just had a concern that the textures from Global didn't get installed.  Not a big deal otherwise, I could just uninstall and reinstall if need be.

As for Vector, clarify full-flat areas?  I am aware of the difference vector can make, but wondering how much more of a load it puts on the sim, because before, it appeared to be a lot.

Thanks,

-Jim

Ah, now I don't really know about FSX:SE, but clearly any installs that rely on it must be able to find it, i.e. know its path.

If you install any Steam game, the path of the executable should appear somewhere in registry, e.g. in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\BlahBlah, not least so it can be identified by addons.

Alas, I don't know what that restore.bat is for, so I don't know if that's related to the Steam client itself, or to FSX:SE.  But that does look like an error you shouldn't have.

It's pretty common to have Steam games install in completely different places than the client app, e.g. I use a non-system HDD for my Steam library, so I expect 3rd-party installers should be able to cope.

Hopefully someone who better knows FSX:SE will be able to answer you.

As for Vector performance, I don't know about that either, as I've never tested for a difference.  A full-fat area is a region like England, NZSI or PNW.

Thanks Jabble.  As I said before, I am not stressed and worried over this.  Reinstalling my FSX content has become a career, so to speak so if i need to uninstall Global and reinstall, I will but only if I get any other problems.  I run FTXC2 and I have been able to switch regions and manipulate insertion points without any errors.  I think the restore.bat file it was looking for was due to me not opting for backing up textures and the install script was just trying to "tidy up" before ending the install...just a thought.

-Jim

Archived