Uninstalling demos before installing purchased product question

Hello,

I use FSX Gold with Acceleration (boxed) and first tried the FTX Global Iceland demo, then installed the PNW demo.  When I did that I got a duplicate landclass error which was resolved by installing the latest Orbx libraries, which also installed FTX Central 2, but I also appear to still have FTX Central 1 remaining as well.  Anyway, I purchased FTX Global Base a couple of days ago.  I know I have to uninstall the Iceland demo first, but I decided to uninstall the PNW demo as well to get back to a "clean", or close to clean, FSX before installing the full FTX Global Base pack.  Since PNW demo was the last install I did, I tried to uninstall it first.  the first time around, it seemed to remove everything except Bowerman airport and the surrounding scenery - but I then had some anomalies like trees and houses in the middle of the waterway heading inland.  I ran the PNW uninstaller again, which seems to have cleaned up the objects in water for the most part, but the enhanced Bowerman airport and immediate vicinity scenery is still there.  

Next I ran the Iceland demo uninstaller, which seems to have gone OK.  I have not yet done the last step however, removing the Orbx libs from the scenery library, because I don't know what happens with Bowerman airport from the PNW demo still being there.  The scenery library still also has an entry for Bowerman in it.  Should I just inactivate or delete that too?  Will this cause a conflict or duplicate data later on if I purchase the full PNW region?

What if I delete the Orbx libs entry, leave Bowerman as-is, and just go ahead and install FTX Global Base - allowing it (I assume) to rebuild the Orbx Libs?

Sorry if some of these are obvious questions, this is my first go-round with Orbx stuff and I just want to make sure I have a "safe" configuration to install the full package(s) into.

Thanks

I'm in much the same boat.  I tried out the PNW demo, then decided to purchase Global, Vector, openLC Europe, PNW, Central Rockies, and KJAC (order number for entire purchase in sig). While downloading them, I ran the PNW demo uninstaller, and found I've still got FTX Central, FTX Aero, and the KHQM Control Panel on my desktop, as well as an ORBX directory in my FSX install and at least a Bowerman BGL file in scenery/world/scenery.  Can I now just install the payware products over that, and have them work well, or do I have to remove those elements of the PNW demo as well?  And, if the latter, how do I do it?

Hi JDWalley,

This won't answer all of your questions, since you've purchased several modules and at the moment I only bought FTX Global Base.  However, since we haven't gotten any other responses I decided to just go ahead and give it a try.  I removed the Orbx Libs entry from my FSX scenery library per the instructions in the FTX Global Iceland(off) demo, as well as the KHQM Bowerman entry.  I did not manually remove any BGL or other files directly from any directories, and I did not do anything with the FTX Centrals (yes, two of them... version 1 and 2) or Aero or the KHQM control panel.  I then proceeded to install FTX Global.  It appeared to work fine, I made a couple of quick test flights to verify the new textures were there but that's as much as I've had time for to this point.  I'll have to do some more checking but as far as FTX Global it seems to have worked OK.

As far as the other products you've got, I *think* once you install Global you should be able to just go ahead and install them but I'd say defer to any instructions that come with the installers.  Central Rockies and PNW are full regions that you could install even if you didn't have any of the Global products, and I would think Central Rockies wouldn't have any conflicts with anything left over from the PNW demo.  Not sure about the full PNW though with that leftover KHQM - however that's an addon airport that goes "over" the PNW package so as long as the rest of the PNW demo is gone (as mine appears to be) you might be OK there too.  Sorry I'm giving you a lot of "might" and "maybe" here but I really don't know for sure. 

I'm guessing that all or most of the Orbx products, or at least the regions and "Global", check to see if FTX Central is already installed or not, since you could purchase any individual region or Global Base as your first Orbx addon and expand from there - so any of them would do the "first" FTX Central install if necessary.  I'm assuming (I know, assumptions are bad) since I already had Central (and aero) from the demos that Global must have recognized it and not tried to reinstall it.  I could be wrong though. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge or experience can verify this but I have a feeling you'll be able to install OK.  I think you just have to install Global Base before Vector or OpenLC, and Central Rockies before KJAC (it says this airport requires Central Rockies to be installed first), but you could install the regions before Global if you wanted to.  One other thing I've seen in various posts is that if you get error messages after installing, try installing the latest version of the Orbx Libraries (download available under the Support link on the home page).  This fixed an error I got after I installed the PNW demo when trying to open FTX Central.

Archived