Unable to install FTX Global

t_bergman

I am attempting to install FTX Global into FSX sp2. After trying numerous downloads and install attempts something I am doing must be wrong, at this point I have downloaded a fresh zip file from FSS using FlashGet3. Unzipped the package with 7zip and run the installer by right clicking and using "run as administrator". Everytime the installer hanges about 80% in during the process of "Un-wrapping installer". I have let it sit and try for 30 minutes each time and still nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

Update: trying on the computer which the file was downloaded on, the installer will give me the online/offline validation option. When I run the installer on the computer with FS the installer doesn't give me the option.

Is there something within the registry that is off?

Hi

As per your previous thread, have you already installed FTX Global in P3D

Kind regards

Ian

Ian,

No, P3D is v2.5 and waiting to install Global and Vector when the new libs come out. Currently trying to use FSX in the meantime as I do not have v2.4 backup'd. Just trying to install into FSX at this point.

Hi Tom,

I don't know if this suggestion might help you progress through unwrapping but its worth a shot.

Firstly make sure you have enough free space available on your OS drive for unwrapping the package, and also enough free space on the FSX installation drive. 

(If you have already provided your FSS Key Date and Order for this product on previous attempts the unwrapper may not ask for these details again the unwrapper will proceed.)

During the unwrapping process @ about 80% there will be a small dialog warning the user not to close the FSSUnwrapper until the installer is finished. If you don't click the OK button in that small warning dialog the unwrapper will not progress.   

Once you have clicked OK however, ensuring the unwrapper panel is still open, the unwrapper should continue along its merry way to the installation panels.

Read, follow, make selections, in each panel through the process until "successful installation" panel appears. Click on installer FINISH button to finalise the install. Then OK close the Unwrapper panel.

If my memory serves, at this point I think the installer will open FTXCentral, select a Region or FTXGlobal or FTXGlobal+Hybrid depending upon where you wish to fly. Click APPLY then close FTXCentral. Install the latest OrbxLibraries for FSX and go checkout your new FTXGlobal textures.

Hi Tom,

Well it was a long shot on my part, from the install description in your Original Post, you have done all the right things to that point. Scratches head now, will search forum to see if others have had and overcome this.

One quick question though, when you unzipped the package did you unzip to a "Folder" on your desktop, or otherwise temp folder, do you have  (FSSUnwrapper - OrbxFTXGlobal100.exe +  8 installation files OrbxFTXGlobal100.2 .3 .4 .5 .6 .7 .8 .9  +  FTX Global User Guide.pdf  + Important README!.txt) in that folder.

In the meantime the Orbx Team may have some thoughts on what is happening.

Hi Tom,

Well it was a long shot on my part, from the install description in your Original Post, you have done all the right things to that point. Scratches head now, will search forum to see if others have had and overcome this.

One quick question though, when you unzipped the package did you unzip to a "Folder" on your desktop, or otherwise temp folder, do you have  (FSSUnwrapper - OrbxFTXGlobal100.exe +  8 installation files OrbxFTXGlobal100.2 .3 .4 .5 .6 .7 .8 .9  +  FTX Global User Guide.pdf  + Important README!.txt) in that folder.

In the meantime the Orbx Team may have some thoughts on what is happening.

I unzipped to my desktop, the userguide and readme are not in the unzipped location. Thanks for your help with this, I've also been scouring the forums and have come up with nothing. Whats weird is that I do not have the users guide and the readme. Is it possible that FSS has a bad file?

I'm almost ready to completely reinstall the OS as its my gaming machine and has almost nothin on it that isn't automated to restore. Steam has all of my games and then its just FS9, FSX, and P3D.

Hi Tom,

I have found a few other posts recommending much the same as suggested already, with a couple of additional things namely, temporarily disabling Antivirus and also making sure you have available at least  20Gb freespace both OS & Install drive.

Because you seem to not have all installation files after unzipping, can you do another extraction just to test. Can you create a New folder on your Desktop and call it "GBase1.30" then copy the "OrbxFTXGlobalBASE130.zip" file to that folder, then right click the Zipped file "OrbxFTXGlobalBASE130.zip" a pop-out menu with "7-Zip" options (2nd from top) will appear Choose "Extract Here". Then when 7-Zip has finished extracting.

Can you then open that folder and take a screenshot of the contents in "Details View" Using ALT+PrtScn. on your keyboard. Then post the picture.

EDIT: - I made some corrections for Full build Global base1.30 unzipped package contents I originally quoted the (OrbxFTXGlobal100) contents.

There should be contained within the extracted 130 package: OrbxFTXGlobalBASE130.exe + OrbxFTXGlobalBASE130.2 .3 .4 .5 .6 .7 .8 .9 .10 Important Read Me!.txt and the OrbxFTXGlobalBASE130.zip that you just extracted. There is no PDF in this installer it will be updated in orbx user documents after installation.

Edit -oops you already know how to do this next bit.

Here's how to post pictures to forum : http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/45944-how-to-post-a-screenshot-on-the-orbx-forums/

Just redownloaded from the FSS's austrailian mirror. I do not have the read me file in the download, this has to be a case of bad downloads.

Orbx Team: What is going on? At this point I am ready to ask for a refund of both purchases as they cannot be installed.

Hi Tom,

Before you re-downloaded and tried to reinstall, did you clear your Temp folders, as not doing this will most likely repeat an incomplete unwrapping even though the Download might have been good all along.

Go to windows start menu > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup,. make sure "Temp Files" is checked run the cleanup > then Re-extract the zip with 7-Zip, and then try unwrapper again.

Hi Tom,

Before you re-downloaded and tried to reinstall, did you clear your Temp folders, as not doing this will most likely repeat an incomplete unwrapping even though the Download might have been good all along.

Go to windows start menu > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup,. make sure "Temp Files" is checked run the cleanup > then Re-extract the zip with 7-Zip, and then try unwrapper again.

I'll do that right now.

Hi Tom,

Cleaned the disk and manually went and deleted the temp files. 30 minutes later the wrapper is stuck "un-wrapping installer...".

Update:

Within my temp directory C:\Users\Tom Bergman\App Data\Local\Temp\ I can see all of the Orbx Files

OrbxFTXFlobal130.1

OrbxFTXFlobal130.2

OrbxFTXFlobal130.3

OrbxFTXFlobal130.4

OrbxFTXFlobal130.5

OrbxFTXFlobal130.6

OrbxFTXFlobal130.7

OrbxFTXFlobal130.8

OrbxFTXFlobal130.9

OrbxFTXFlobal130.10

OrbxFTXFlobal130

Whats weird is that unzipping the download there is not a .1 file.

Update:

I've refreshed the temp folder and can see that the OrbxFTXFlobal130 file size is climbing. The download has the file at 519,148 KB and the temp file is at 260,480 KB.

Update: I've got it unwrapped finally, the FSS wrapper needed over an hour and a half to do its work. Orbx may want to update their FAQ's to reflect this as if any installer hangs like that for a large amount of time many users will rightfully assume something is wrong. The current FAQ states 4-6 minutes.

Hi Tom,

Sorry for the delay, I have been burning the candle a lot lately and found myself in a jetlag, badly needed some Zzzzzzzz's.

Update: I've got it unwrapped finally, the FSS wrapper needed over an hour and a half to do its work. Orbx may want to update their FAQ's to reflect this as if any installer hangs like that for a large amount of time many users will rightfully assume something is wrong. The current FAQ states 4-6 minutes.

By your last post, does ("unwrapped finally") mean you were able to successfully complete the "FTXGlobalBase1.30" installation.

Whats weird is that unzipping the download there is not a .1 file.

This is quite correct, after extraction these are the files that will appear in the folder you unzipped into. There is rightly no file listed as "130.1"

There are 11 files in total.

Important Read Me!.txt                        1 KB

OrbxFTXGlobalBASE130.exe  506,362 KB    (this file is the FSS unwrapper, it is No1 )

OrbxFTXGlobalBASE130.2      512,000 KB    No2

OrbxFTXGlobalBASE130.3      512,000 KB    No3  

OrbxFTXGlobalBASE130.4      512,000 KB    No4

OrbxFTXGlobalBASE130.5      512,000 KB    No5

OrbxFTXGlobalBASE130.6      512,000 KB    No6

OrbxFTXGlobalBASE130.7      512,000 KB    No7

OrbxFTXGlobalBASE130.8      512,000 KB    No8

OrbxFTXGlobalBASE130.9      512,000 KB    No9

OrbxFTXGlobalBASE130.10      25,560 KB    No10

The installation is a large one, and needs to perform many tasks, even making a backup of your original texture set will take time. These complex tasks all take time, there is nothing that can be done about the time factor, It is a matter of patience.

I remember mine also took some time to complete, I take it in my stride, maybe because I've been around a while, experience helps in this regard also.

Archived