New Graphics Card Q's

petersm69

Hey guys thinking of upgrading from a Nvidia 9500GT to a GTX 280(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130365) but the problem is i need to get a better PSU an im looking at an Antec 650 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371021) for that. I would like to know if this will do and any other advice would be great Heres my current PC specs if u need them.

Mobo- Gigabyte EP45-UDR3

CPU- Intel Q9650 @ 3.0Ghz

GPU- 9500GT

Ram- DDR2 4gb

Careful with Antec.  They outsource manufacture to the cheapest bidder.  I have one that doesn't like to turn on.  Can take 2 hrs of mucking around - so I leave it on all the time.  bazzam has one which was doing the same but eventually came good.  Do a Google on it - I'm not alone.

Careful with Antec.  They outsource manufacture to the cheapest bidder.  I have one that doesn't like to turn on.  Can take 2 hrs of mucking around - so I leave it on all the time.  bazzam has one which was doing the same but eventually came good.  Do a Google on it - I'm not alone.

Thanks Mark could you(or anyone) recommend a better power supply but still with a good price?

I can be a grumpy bastard BUT go genuine to start with and match it to the hardware you have.

I trialed 3 high end cards in my system recently and the 8800 was the best of the lot  simply because the data could not be handed to the graphics card fast enough so there was no point in running 50% card than the main board was capable of.

I can be a grumpy bastard BUT go genuine to start with and match it to the hardware you have.

I trialed 3 high end cards in my system recently and the 8800 was the best of the lot  simply because the data could not be handed to the graphics card fast enough so there was no point in running 50% card than the main board was capable of.

Thanks mate I think the 280 will be good coz i have a decent quad core and im probably gonna keep this card for a while in future upgrades i have also seen vids on youtube of videos with the 280 and the same processor as mine and it performs really well.

Archived