Where are the Wind Farms?!

wingclip

Hi Folks,

First, I know that the Scenery slider will turn off the wind-farms if it's not full right, so yes, that slider and the Autogen slider are full right, (I thought I'd get that out of the way). In fact, all my sliders in the scenery FSX Scenery panel are full right, and all the special effects related controls are on and/or set to max. (My CPU is o/c'd to 5GHz and the 7970 is o/c'd as well so it's safe to assume that I'm running almost everything at max except for ground shadows and Traffic sliders. FPS is set to 30).

I take off from 4CA2, (Antioch, I think), and fly 090 degrees to Stockton, and/or from Stockton I fly west 270 degrees to 4CA2 but I don't see these Wind-farm generators.

I checked the locations mentioned in the Google Earth/CA map and if I recall correctly, there's supposed to be 17 wind mills just south of Antioch, (or was that Altamont).

I have FTX Central set to North America, (should it be set to "Global w/Hybrid maybe?), but I wonder if the problem is an edit in the FSX CFG I made over a year ago. Holger explained that he edited the "Terrain Max Autogen Trees Per Cell" and "...Buildings Per Cell" to go easier on the FPS. I have the former set to "= 4500" and the latter set to "=3000".

I guess if someone can give me a airport or small airstrip that they know which is nearest some of these windmills, (including the direction I should fly after T/O), maybe I will see them. I mean, it may be that I simply am not where they are!

Thanks, 

Rich

OK, for anyone who may have a similar question, I can say this is resolved. I accidentally found a wind farm as I was making an approach to O88 airport, It's in Rio Vista and if you T/O toward the west, the Wind farm is just a little SW of the runway's threshold.

I didn't realize what the wind farms looked like from the air so I was probably passing a bunch of them earlier. Some are running, and some aren't, (just like the real thing, of course). The edits that I made in the FSX Cfg regarding the Terrain Max Autogen,  (mentioned in the original post), had nothing to do with it. 

Just be sure the Scenery slider is full right, otherwise the wind farms are removed from the landscape. It's kind of funny how I found them; as I said, I was making an approach to the O88 airport from the west and after I landed, I always play back the last 120 seconds so I can judge my accuracy and base my improvements on the way I handled it.

It was during the play back and while in the view mode that follows the "Locked Spot" view, (where you can see the aircraft from a distant, static point), when I saw what first appeared to be 'white' telephone poles! Of course, I immediately took off again and there they were! 

So that's it! I'm done here.

Rich

Archived