i7 Rubbish

Guest boeingqa

I tried applying the bufferpool line with a poolsize of 300000000, but I got some studders that I didn't have without it, so I deleted it again. It's not perfect, but the game is enjoyable now. However, I only have the Blue Region and with default YSSY and YMML I have FPS ranging from approx 12-sixty something. I would like to buy an AI addon (Traffic tools 2, Traffic X, MyTrafficX) but I'm afraid that it will kill my fps in dense areas. If I install ORBX's AI traffic pack 2, can I keep it if I decide to buy a commercial AI tool or will they collide with each other?

PS: Which NVidia driver version do you recommend instead of the one that came with Windows 7?

Jlund

On Win7 64 bit, I've had great results with the Vista 64 182.5 driver.  Nothing after that has been any good, producing poor visuals, poor performance and bad stutters for both my 8800-GT and GTX275.  I'm sure others may have better experiences, but for now I'm happy staying on 182.5

The other traffic packages may well try to schedule aircraft to the same aircraft as your ORBX AI and you may get a mixture of AI appearing.  If the real world schedule is important perhaps UT2 is a good choice for you, and might negate the need for the ORBX pack.

Simon

As John and others said before, there really is no magic tweak, and even if there is one, it is different for every single PC.

I am running FSX on the 4th CPU since I started using FSX. I started with an E6850, moved to an E8400, then to an E8600 overclocked to 4GHz and am now running an Q9650 overclocked to 4GHz.

With every single CPU I began tweaking the fsx.cfg but came to nearly the same values everytime. And most of the tweaks do not work on every PC, they seem to be hardware dependent.

Finally all I did was, delete the fsx.cfg and let FSX build a new, clean one. What can help improve performance is, reduce water details, turn off DX10 (when using Vista or W7), turn off shadows (scenery shadows and aircraft self shadowing) and reduce density and details to your needs.

All I did to the fsx.cfg was, added the AffinityMask=15 (for QuadCore), reduced the trees and buildings per cell and entered SmallPartRejectRadius=4.0 in the [scenery] section (default is 0), this can boost performance because it does not render scenery and aircraft which are smaller than 4 pixels.

Every other tweak had almost no effect at all so all that seems to help is pure GHz power as mentioned before

A simming friend in Sydney has a 20% OC'd E6850 and he tells me he gets anywhere from 35-85 Frames with decent clouds ( and we all know what that does to the Frame count)

As Plexi said and I have said many times tweaks for one may not be THE tweak for the next fella, and they are ALL very specific to a particular machine hardware combination.

The FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION line was the one that really worked for me The Buffer Pools however gave me a useless box of bits sitting on the runway if I exceeded a very narrow range, of values and had little effect.

Er, avoid those tweaks like the plague. You'll just go down a miserable road of endless tweaking and frustration.

Really?

No “miserable road of endless tweaking and frustration†here for me. I followed the OS guide from NickN and haven’t had any problems or issues.

FSX runs fine on the machine listed below.

ASUS Rampage II Extreme (1504 BIOS)

Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT

Mushkin Redline Ascent 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (6-6-5-18-1N)

EVGA GTX 285 FTW

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty

WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows Vista 64/SP2

WD VelociRaptor 300GB – Games/Programs

WD VelociRaptor 150GB - XP Pro 64 Bit Edition/SP2

WD VelociRaptor 300GB – FSX

PC Power & Cooling T1KWSR 1000W

LIAN LI PC-A70B

The big thing that set my i7 onto overdrive was nHancer. See NickN's tweaks over at Simviation - they're all good, but it was the nHancer settings that killed the stutters and really boosted it.

http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1208959973

Er, avoid those tweaks like the plague. You'll just go down a miserable road of endless tweaking and frustration. There is no magic tweaking cure for FSX performance.

Here are the 4 keys to getting great FSX performance:

1. Get the fastest Quad-Core CPU you can afford. Overclock the bugger if you want to. 3Ghz is great, 4Ghz is best. The new i7's rock, and Intel has lots more of them coming; faster clocks, stronger, more cores. We love it :)

2. Get a GOOD current-gen video card. The nVidia GTX285 rules the roost right now. Make sure you get at least 768MB of DDR3 on, 1GB is best.

3. Get a Gigabyte motherboard (the best reputation, and they are good overclockers) and then run 2X Western Digitial Velociraptors 10,000 RPM (74GB) hard drives in RAID-0 off the motherboard.

4. Install Windows 7 Beta (if you can get it), if not wait for it and put up with Vista. Turn Microsoft Automatic Updates on and keep everything current

That's it!  No more dicking around and fiddling. Chuck decent hardware at FSX and it will reward you. Spent countless hours tweaking (following ridiculously obscure lists which need to be executed in strict order and rely on this version of that defragger, blah, blah) - my God! That's just going to age you prematurely and you'll walk away from FSX frustrated and looking for a new hobby instead.

I so agree, i have spent countless hours trying tweaks out and now run FSX better than ever with a BIG FAT 0 tweaks.

I so agree, i have spent countless hours trying tweaks out and now run FSX better than ever with a BIG FAT 0 tweaks.

What tweaks?

With the exception of changing the “TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=XX†line and adding “DisablePreload=1†in the CFG, what “tweaks†are there?

As long as you have decent hardware running on a clean, properly installed and updated OS you shouldn’t have to "tweak".

ASUS Rampage II Extreme (1504 BIOS)

Intel Core i7-975 Extreme Edition w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT

Mushkin Redline Ascent 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (6-6-5-18-1N)

EVGA GTX 285 FTW

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty

WD VelociRaptor 150GB – Windows Vista 64/SP2

WD VelociRaptor 300GB – Games/Programs

WD VelociRaptor 150GB - XP Pro 64 Bit Edition/SP2

WD VelociRaptor 300GB – FSX

PC Power & Cooling T1KWSR 1000W

LIAN LI PC-A70B

Archived