KASE Floating Tower Lights

CaptKornDog

As always, thank you for another great freeware pack of airports.  They sure give a facelift to some fields I haven't flown to in ages and some new horizons.

Looking at KASE this evening, it's great to see the new taxiways and runway extension.  One thing I noticed, though, it appears that the lights on top of the tower appear to be misaligned.

Thanks!

ZmrbncI.jpg

Unfortunately, nothing can be done about that. There is a well known object shift phenomenon that occurs at high altitude airports in both FSX and P3D. When objects are initially placed in the scenery they look fine, but then you restart the sim and notice the objects you placed are now displaced several meters.  Thus, you have to account for that shift when placing the objects. The shift is more pronounced as the airport elevation increases.  Aspen is around 7800' so I had a lot of fun with that. To compound the issue the amount of shift is different in FSX vs P3D. Compound it even more with animated objects where one part of the object is stationary and the other part has an effect.  You'll see what I mean with the rotating beacon (and the tower above). It's one of the reasons I had to resort to using default windsocks at this airport. Oh, and to make it even more fun, some objects shift more than others, and then there are other objects that don't shift at all. Good times at high altitude. 

Todd

Archived