FTX Central does not start anymore after itunes update

svogeler

Hi everybody,

I have a very weird problem with FTX Central and itunes: After updating itunes from Version 11.1.3 to the most current version 12.0.1.26, FTX Central does not start anymore. When I click on the FTX Central executable icon (no matter if from the desktop or directly from the orbx folder), the mouse cursor shows the busy symbol (rotating circle) for a few seconds, but that's it. Nothing more happens, I do not get any error message or a symbol in the task bar. No other programs on my PC are affected, only FTX Central.

I tried reinstalling the latest orbx libraries, as well as some FTX regions including latest patches. That did not cure the problem.

I have Windows 7 64bit. After a backup recovery of my windows partition (not of my FSX partition where FTX Central is located), with itunes in the old version, FTX Central starts normally without any problem. As soon as I update itunes, FTX Central stops working again. Tried this several times, so the relationship between itunes update and FTX Central problems is clearly reproducable.

When searching several Forums via google, you get hints regarding problems with itunes update from version 11.1.3, especially with a lib called MSVCR80.dll. I have tried all mentioned tips, including a comprehensive deinstallation of the old itunes version and new installation of the current version. Nothing helped. However, the forum discussions are all about itunes starting problems after the update, which I do not have. The only thing that does not start after the update is FTX Central.

Could the FTX Central start problems be related to a system library, perhaps removed or updated by the itunes update?

I would be very thankful for any help.

Kind Regards,

Sven

Hi Sven,

I have just updated to the new iTunes v12.0.1.26 ( It now opens with a Red desktop Icon) instead of the blue one. iTunes GUI works as before and FTXCentral has no issues at my end, both appear to be operating normally. I suspect and I'm drawing a very long bow on the cause, but could this be a Language pack issue between OS and the iTunes update, is your version of OS in your native German. Are other German users having the same issue. Failing this being a possible cause and the fact that ITunes seems to be working, have you tried this http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/22018-ftx-central-frustration-locks-to-taskbar-how-to-fix/

Hi Jeff,

many thanks for your answer. Glad to hear that the itunes update did not cause trouble on your side. You are right, I am using native German configured OS. But if there were trouble with the Language pack, wouldn't other programs beside FTX Central be affected also? And what could I do in that case?

Thanks for the link to the topic regarding FTX Central starting minimized in the task bar. However, that is not the case on my machine, i.e. there does not even appear something in the task bar when I double click on the FTX Central icon.

Does anyone have another idea?

Kind Regards,

Sven

Hi everybody,

after several hours of trying this and that, I could finally isolate the problem to the Apple Mobile Device Support Installer.

For a complete manual deinstallation of itunes, Apple strongly recommends to deinstall the components via Windows System Control in the following order:

1. itunes

2. Apple Software Update

3. Apple Mobile Device Support

4. Bonjour

5. Apple Application Support

Doing this step by step with my recovered Windows backup, steps 1 and 2 have no influence on FTX Central. But as soon as I deinstall Apple Mobile Device Support in step 3, FTX Central does not start anymore. Now comes the funny thing: I have located the installer (.msi) file for Apple Mobile Device Support and executed it, then selected install, and after the installer had finished, FTX Central worked again without problems.

I reproduced that several times: When I run the installer to deinstall Apple Mobile Device Support, FTX Central stops working, when I then run the installer again to reinstall Apple Mobile Device Support, FTX Central works again.

I had a look into the Apple msi file to locate strings refering to dll's and found several. I then tracked if there are any changes to these dll's after installation/deinstallation (e.g. removal or version change), but could not find any differences.

Any ideas what I could try next?

Kind Regards,

Sven

Problem seems to be solved. I manually removed the Apple Mobile Device Support folder and as far as feasible all relating registry entries. The following installation of the newest itunes version was unsuccessful (error messages and no connection to ipad) in a first step, but after a complete de- and reinstallation of that version everything seems to work as it should. And the best: FTX Central works too. Yipiieh!

Regards,

Sven

Archived