anybody at Penfield today ?

martinc

March 09, 2009 01:42pm

A PILOT has walked away after a freak accident destroyed his plane when it crash landed near Sunbury today.

A police spokeswoman said the 58-year-old man had been trying to land his Vans RV-7 at Penfield Airfield when a front wheel somehow became “wedged†on the grass landing strip.

It then flipped.

The pilot walked away, uninjured.

The Air Traffic Safety Bureau is investigating.

The pilot, who was flying alone, was attempting to land at the airfield off Settlement Rd about 12.15pm, the Sunbury Leader reports.

Penfield Airfield manager Terry Otway said the plane flipped because of a flat front tyre.

He said the nose section of the plane was also damaged.

“The plane had a mishap on landing,’’ he said.

Three CFA tankers were called in to contain spilled chemicals.

Sunbury Airfield is in open country close to Sunbury, 34km north of Melbourne.

March 09, 2009 01:42pm

A PILOT has walked away after a freak accident destroyed his plane when it crash landed near Sunbury today.

The joys of aviation - a 25c tyre valve could be the difference between a good and bad day!! Happy that he walked away.

I landed at Pindiu in PNG in a C206, disgorged my cargo and loaded the pax with their various chattles of kau kau pigs and picanninies, taxied out, ran through the pre t.o. checks - controls free and moving in correct sense - elevator jammed in central position. Radio Flight Service to hold plan, close down - there is a full box of matches jammed down into the gap between the horn balance and the horizontal stabiliser - obviously put there by someone while I was starting up. Could have spoiled my whole day.  8)

Archived