Orbx made sceneries for DCS?

yallu

Hi guys... Maybe there already is a similar topic somewhere, but couldn't find it. Been away from FSX for a long time flying mostly DCS these days. Which brings me to today's topic...

But first, for those who don't know what DCS is: it's like the military version of FSX. Or slowly becoming more and more like it. Moddable with modules, addons, SDKs etc. I mean...

Eagle Dynamics is AFAIK getting closer and closer in releasing their first beta of something called EDGE - their new graphichs engine. Supposedly it will come with an SDK which should allow 3rd parties to create (and sell) new theaters (someone correct me if I'm wrong). There seems to be quite a lot of demand for more theaters than the stock Georgia... Such as Vietnam, Korea, Afghanistan etc. Especially with the Huey and new planes coming like F-86 Sabre, MiG-15, MiG-21...

I'd like to ask if Orbx would be interested in taking a look at the simulator and it's SDKs once EDGE is released in order to possibly implement new theaters. I'm not sure how big DCS is compared to FSX but DCS forums do have more members than Orbx forums. I know it doesn't mean DCS is bigger but it might give some general idea about the community size and potential.

Here's a link to a preview of EDGE (hopefully viewable from your current location).

This post is more like a generic heads-up, FYI kinda thing... Orbx of all companies can sure make excellent sceneries so maybe one of these days we'll see those in DCS too. :)

I wouldnt be surprised if DCS currently has the largest userbase in the flight sim world at the moment to be honest, going by it's general popularity on Steam. Not sure if it's the type of user that would spend lots of crash just to make the landscape look different though

I would pay good money for an Orbx treatment in DCS. Everything in the current v1.9 looks lifeless and generic compared to the FTX standard.

The upcoming EDGE engine should be a vast improvement, but I'm not convinced it will look better than what Orbx can produce in FSX/P3D. Time will tell.

Misha - my DCS P-51 and Dora need a WWII map. You available?  ;D

• 5 months later...
Froogle's VLOG: DCS WORLD 2 EXCLUSIVE PEEK

Talks, among many other things, about new maps being developed in addition to the good old Georgia. Nevada, Strait of Hormuz and Northern France.

How cool would it be to have Vietnam (for example) made by Orbx. Or the areas including and around Indonesia. etc. etc.

Having detailed Orbtx scenerys in DCS would be amazing but I think hardcore DCS simmers are different from PD3/FSX simmers, With DCS its all about the battle and preparation more so. For me and my liccle planes, I love the scenery. In saying that I would definitely pay for the fancy scenery in DCS. Anyway I don't think the hardcore DCS cheapos would splash the cash of snobby fancy scenery:).

Archived