No water with FTX Global

GCNorth

I'm living the sequel to the movie "Waterworld" but it is called "Waterlessworld".  Here my situation: When I select FTX Global in FTX Central, my scenery goes haywire.  It is actually more than not having any water, the scenery is messed up in other ways;  elevated airports, vehicles running off roads, buildings not looking right.

Here is an example:

0RIV.png

where I'm flying east over the Atlantic Ocean from Atlantic City, NJ.  The GPS shows that I'm over water but the terrain is land.

I don't have any problems with scenery using Oceania or North America.  I have recently begun to get an error message when switching regions in FTX saying "Unhandled exception.....Access to \Scripts\Backup\restore.bat is denied."  I quit but the switch does occur.

I'm running DX9 and have installed Orbxlibs 140405 after having recently installed Northern California and updates to Pacific Fiords, Rocky Mountains North and Central.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gerry

Order Number: FSS0277585 Northern California

Yes, thank you. Now for your water issue...

First it sounds like there are some permissions issues going on. If you haven't taken ownership of your FSX folder previously, that should be done now. Here's an article on how to take ownership of a folder:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

You may also want to exclude FSX from your antivirus as they have been known to interfere with file operations.

For the water issue, it looks like your terrain.cfg may have become corrupted. To fix that, first back up the main copy of your terrain.cfg which is found in the root FSX folder. Then navigate to "Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral\Work" and locate the backup of the terrain.cfg there. Copy this backup in your root FSX folder, after that run FTX Central and switch between each region, including Global, hitting apply each time. This will reinsert the correct entries into your terrain.cfg.

Note if you have any other products that insert lines into the terrain.cfg (Ultimate Terrain, GEX, etc.) those will need to be re-run to reinsert their entries.

Regards,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your quick response.  I was able to correct the permissions issue - don't understand how that got screwed up.  I tried the change of terrain.cfg files, but that did not fix the issue.

Hi Alex,

The oceans are back!  When I turned off the computer last night, I had no water.  This morning, the water is back.  Probably because of rebooting the computer.  Should have tried it before. ::)

Hi Gerry,

That's good to hear, you may want to try cycling FTX Central around a bit to make sure every entry is reinserted and correct. But if the water is back that sounds like everything is as it should be!

Regards,

Alex

Archived