Trees and buildings everywhere

skogstroll

It looks like I have some problems with FTXG.

I see trees and buildings in the water and  - even worse - on taxiways and aprons. The textures next to the runways are changing continously.

I tried to uninstall FTXG and some demos (Iceland and Pacific NW, is there an uninstaller for Tasmania?) an reinstalled FTXG only but this did NOT solve the problem. Although at least PNW is deinstalled North America is still present as region in FTX Central.

I have UT USA and Europe installed but this should be compatible to FTXG. The problem is worldwide, not only in the regions covered by UT.

Is this a result of global warming or is there a solution for this?

Regrads,

Klaus

I should maybe add some history:

- FTXG purchased installed: No FTXG textures, FTX Central does not start ("Key not found" error).

- Support advised to copy a file that was obviously missing in my installation. FTX Central still does not start but the error message changes.

- After some repair work FTX Central runs but there is just the default button. Still no FTXG textures.

- Complete new installation (FSX together with all addons and FTXG). Now FTX Central shows the FTXG button only (no default button). I takes a Saturday afternoon but who cares, it works and for the first time I see what I payed for. It looks great.

- After installation of some demos (Iceland, Pacific NW, Tasmania) I get even the default button and TWO FTXG buttons.

- Buildings and trees start to show up everywhere, in the water, on taxiways, on the apron as soon as ANY of the Orbx sceneries is activated. The only exception are desert airfields but even there the textures adjacent to the runway are constantly changing.

- When choosing default I still see some FTXG textures at the airport but they are mixed with default textures. FTXG lighting still works!

- I uninstalled as many Orbx addons as possible (ther seems to be no uninstaller for Tasmania) and reinstalled FTXG only. It seems to work but after installing the patches I'm back on sqare one: FTX Central doesn't start anymore. "Key not found."

- I installed the demos again and FTX Central is coming back to life! The problem remains: As soon as anything but "Default" is applied the FSX world looks apocalyptic with trees everywhere...

I actually had the intention to purchase FTX Global Vector but after my experience with the base pack and due to the absence of support I don't believe I will do it.

Hello Klaus,

Wow, it sounds like there are a myriad of issues here. Let's see if we can start to tackle some of these...

- FTXG purchased installed: No FTXG textures, FTX Central does not start ("Key not found" error).

Could you post the specific error message given when FTX Central starts up? Also what operating system are you using?

- Support advised to copy a file that was obviously missing in my installation. FTX Central still does not start but the error message changes.

Could you provide a link to your previous support topic? Also please add the latest error message.

- After some repair work FTX Central runs but there is just the default button. Still no FTXG textures.

- Complete new installation (FSX together with all addons and FTXG). Now FTX Central shows the FTXG button only (no default button). I takes a Saturday afternoon but who cares, it works and for the first time I see what I payed for. It looks great.

It sounds like you were missing the latest libraries. As stated in the manuals always install the latest Orbx libraries after any new installation!

- After installation of some demos (Iceland, Pacific NW, Tasmania) I get even the default button and TWO FTXG buttons.

Again, missing libraries. Sometimes FTX Central ends up with duplicate icons that need to be cleaned out, installing the latest libraries updates all core files and puts them back in sync with your installation.

- Buildings and trees start to show up everywhere, in the water, on taxiways, on the apron as soon as ANY of the Orbx sceneries is activated. The only exception are desert airfields but even there the textures adjacent to the runway are constantly changing.

That sounds like a terrain.cfg error. To fix that you'll need to refresh your terrain.cfg. Note that this will remove entries for UTX or other sceneries that rely on the terrain.cfg

-Back up your terrain.cfg, located in the root FSX folder.
-Locate the backup of the default terrain.cfg in C:\...\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\Scripts\FTXCentral\Work
-Copy that terrain.cfg into the root FSX folder. 
-Run FTX Central and switch between each region to re-insert the terrain.cfg entries

- When choosing default I still see some FTXG textures at the airport but they are mixed with default textures. FTXG lighting still works!

A screenshot would helpful, but I suspect this is the result of a corrupted terrain.cfg

- I uninstalled as many Orbx addons as possible (ther seems to be no uninstaller for Tasmania) and reinstalled FTXG only. It seems to work but after installing the patches I'm back on sqare one: FTX Central doesn't start anymore. "Key not found."

If this error message is different than those mentioned above please include it as well.

Another update:

- Installed the patches and the latest library. Error messages when starting FTX Central:

"Terrain.cfg has no [LandClasses] section."  (This has happened before but didn't prevent FTX Central from running.)

"Rename unique files: Key not found in the list." (The last part of the message is in Swedish)

Finally I get an exception together with the choice to continue or to abour. If I chose "continue", FTX Central freezes with the message "Loading..."

I'll try to answer your questions:

Operation system: Windows 7, 64 bit

Error messages when startting FTX Central:

"Terrain.cfg has no [LandClasses] section"

then sometimes "Rename unique files: Nyckels hittades inte i uppslagelistan." (Key not found in the list)

and finally (in Swedish): "Exception that can't be handled by your application: Object refernce missing for one object."

I'm afraid that I'm not allowed to post any kind of picture here so we'll have to continue without screenshots.

Here's the link to the previous issue:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

The problem seems to get worse when I install the patches.

I'll try to follow you advices and will let you know what happened.

Thanks!

Klaus

OK, here are the results:

- Refreshed terrain.cfg according to your instructions: "Terrain.cfg has no ..." is gone but the exception is still present and FTX Central does not run.

- Uninstalled all demos that can be uninstalled and FTXG. During the uninstall of Pacific NW I get the "Key not found" message but the uninstallation is reported as successful. FTX Central runs (!!) with the buttons "Default", "North America" (which was just uninstalled) and "Australia" (which seems to be uninstallable)

- Installed FTXG. FTX Central still works but does not display the "FTX Global" button.

- Installed the library: Back on sqare 1: "Exception... object reference missing"

- Installed Iceland demo: No changes.

It's pretty late now in Sweden. I'll give up for the day.

/Klaus

Hi Alex,

ok, next session.

NET 4.0 is installed. OK, you never know, I tried to install it again and got a message that the latest version already is installed. Checked.

I ran the reg utility and it has no problems detecting FSX in C:\FSX. No problems here either, checked.

I then ran all available uninstallers and after that FTX Central is starting without error messages, displaying the buttons Default, North America and Australia. I continued with the guides and deleted the complete Orbx folder. The trees and building on my taxiways are now gone but I think some FTXG textures are still (partially) present and mixed with default textures. Too bad that I can't post a screenshot. Even the night lighting is still working (it always did). FTX Central is gone totally which is not really surprising.

After that I tried to install FTXG again but was not too successful. Unwrapper and installer are starting and FTX Central is not opened, ok. Then the installer is checking file conditions - and tells me that it's ready. VERY fast. However, FTX Central does not exist.

After installing the library FTX Central is back but the only button is Default. No FTXG and no changes in the appearance of FSX.

Installing any demo used to bring back the FTXG button but this seems not to be the right way to do it. I guess I'd better wait for your comments and advices.

Regards,

Klaus

When I said that there are no changes in the appearance of FSX this was not entirely true.

The water is partially gone. The northern part of the Baltic sea is just endless forests and swamps. Nice at the coast of the Mediteranean sea is surrounded by fields. The southern Baltic sea near Copenhage still exists and even the San Francisco bay has not fallen dry. This just gets stranger and stranger...

I continued today and installed the patches.

Patch #1: The exception is back.

Patch #2: Both "key not found" and the exception.

Installed the library again: "key not found" disappeared but the exception is still there.

This gets REALLY irritating.

/Klaus

Update:

The only way to fix the missing oceans seems to be a complete new installation of FSX. Done.

Then I installed FTX global on this completely new and clean FSX installation (including library). FTX Central is running but the only button is the FTX global one, there is no deafult button. FTXG can be applied but with these errors:

Apply region error report.
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_ChestnutMaple.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_ChestnutMaple_FA.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_ChestnutMaple_HW.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_ChestnutMaple_SP.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_ChestnutMaple_WI.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_CottonwoodElm.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_CottonwoodElm_FA.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_CottonwoodElm_HW.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_CottonwoodElm_SP.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_CottonwoodElm_WI.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_MesquiteOlive.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_MesquiteOlive_FA.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_MesquiteOlive_HW.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_MesquiteOlive_SP.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_MesquiteOlive_WI.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_OakSycamore.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_OakSycamore_FA.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_OakSycamore_HW.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_OakSycamore_SP.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_OakSycamore_WI.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_thin.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_thin_FA.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_thin_HW.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_thin_SP.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_Broadleaf_thin_WI.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_conifer1.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_conifer1_HW.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_palm1.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_savanna1.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_savanna1_FA.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_savanna1_HW.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_savanna1_SP.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_savanna1_WI.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_tropical1.dds
FSX File does not exist: C:\FSX\ORBX\Scripts\Custom.gb_base\veg_tropical2.dds

What the *** is this installation routine doing??

Update (00:08 local time):

- After installation and uninstallation of the Pacific NW demo the errors are gone and FTX Central is running.

- FTX Central shows two (2) instances of FTXG, default and - although uninstalled - the PNW demo.

- With any of the FTXG buttons enabled I get trees EVERYWHERE, even on the runway. I never left the ground.

- With default enabled I still don't see the default textures. The trees are gone - except those in the water (!!!)

- The Mediterranean sea is back.

- No response from support.

I spent one more evening installing FSX, service packs, weather add ons, traffic add ons, terrain add ons, arcrafts...

Sorry to say that but this is getting ridiculous. FTXG may be a great product if its running but it does not. I NEVER EVER has that much trouble with a software - including Microsoft products.

I'd like to have a solution or my money back.

/Klaus

Hi Klaus,

I've been on the road since earlier today but the message in your second to last post indicates you are missing service packs for FSX or the latest libraries. As a rule, always install the latest libraries after installing new products.

These problems are not typical to users, it seems specific to your system and perhaps indicative of an improper installation order. It's very hard to diagnose and find solutions with so many variables being changed at once. To get to the bottom of this, things really need to be changed one step at a time rather than bulk uninstalling and reinstalling. It is too hard to fix a problem when there is continual change going on.

Additionally refunds are not typically given and have to be authorized at a higher level than myself.

Regards,

Alex

Of course the primary goal should be to get this thing running. I understand that its difficult to diagnose the problem when things are changing but please understand that I posted this problem on April 06. If I don't get response I'll kepp trying. And both service packs and the latest librarie are installed. To be absolutely sure I even uninstalled the service packs together with FSX and re-installed them again.

My system is not special in any way. HP with Intel i7, 3.4GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 64bit, Windows and FSX installed on a SSD. FSX addons are:

- PMDG aircrafts (MD-11, 737, 777, Jetstream 41)

- Active sky next

- Ultimate traffic 2

- UTX Europe and USA (lighting disabled due to high impact on frame rate)

- FTX global

FSX runs with DX10 enabled due to the higher frame rate. To overcome the lighting problems with FTX global, I use the DX10 scenery fixer.

When I re-installed FSX yesterday, FTX global was the first and for a while the only addon to be installed.

Having installed FTXG three times (FSX two times) I start to see a certain pattern:

- FTX Central has the Default button only after installation. Initial error messages (Key not found, exception) diappear when the librariy is installed.

- Installing the Iceland demo causes the exception.

- Installing another demo (e.g. Pacific NW) results in errors (Exception, Key not found or even Dupicate scenery index), uninstalling the demo clears the errors and FTX Central will show the buttons Default, FTXG (often twice) and North America

- Choosing FTXG or North America causes the autogen to go crazy with trees and buildings literally everywhere (especially on runways or taxiways)

- Choosing Default will not remove the FTXG textures although the default textures have been backed up. No trees on the runways but still forests in the water.

Could the terrain.cfg be corrupted? If yes, how can it be repaired?

How to get rid of the duplicate FTXG button?

/Klaus

Update:

Looks like it was a corrupted terrain.cfg.

I stripped down FSX to just FSX itself and the trees in the water were still present. Then I copied and old backup of terrain.cfg into the FSX folder and even if FSX looked boring the trees were where they are supposed to be. I continued with UTX (FSX looked a bit better) and GEX (FSX looked pretty good).

Then I deactivated GEX and installed FTXG with just one error message (the exception) after the installation of patch 1.

Pretty shaky installation but FTXG is now working with all trees in their right positions. Once again: FTXG is a great product which takes FSX to a new level but the installation is a nightmare.

There is only one problem left: There is no Default button in FTX Central. It used to appear when a demo was installed but Idon't want to do this.

How do I get the Default button back???

/Klaus

Hi Klaus,

With FTX Global there is no more default button, Global is intended to be the new default. You should have a button that says "Global" and then one for any regions you have (Europe, North America, Oceania)

You can always re-run the libraries again to make sure FTX Central is updated to reflect your current installation.

Regards,

Alex

Hi Alex,

currently I have no other regions installed and I don't like to do it. Something must have corrupted my terrain.cfg and my main suspect is one of the demos I had installed. I remember that Pacific NW looked a bit strange with parallel roads that crossed each other (ok - parallel roads don't cross each other) in places where there should be only one. Things became really crazy after the installation of the Tasmania demo but I did it more or less directly after PNW so I'm not sure what caused it. I'm pretty glad that my FSX is running again and don't want to jeopardize that.

If the default button is not supposed to be there I'm fine with that.

Thanks!

/Klaus

• 1 month later...

I installed the Pacific Northwest Demo and it ruined my entire system. Uninstalling it did not fix - I had trees everywhere and most textures were ruined. I see this across other online forums consistently and no where does this company provide ownership to there being a problem with the installer or software. I spent $100 on the global program and liked it so much I wanted to try this more detailed demo and potentially buy it.  I had probably invested 30 hours of installs and tweaking for my sim which I am now re-doing everything.  I will absolutely never install another add on from ftx again due to this damage and hours upon hours of my life not getting back.    

Sincerely  , 

Was a fan of your products -

Archived