pnw patch 8 scenery.cfg error

rdg

Hi, just reinstalled FSX and PNW 8. PNW being the only FTX scenery installed

Upon loading fsx, error: 

Scenery.cfg error: Local scenery directory (ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\SCENERY) in scenery Area.120 not found.

Not sure but this directory does not exist.

Anyone? 

Bob

Hi Bob,

I've just been looking at your issue, the error you see is caused by FSX not being able to find the Orbx libs located in ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\SCENERY. After reading a few other topics about Scenery.cfg errors (not specifically related to your issue) but the advice given would be to delete the offending entry in the Scenery.cfg. (There are some things you can try before you go this route)

In your description you say that you Reinstalled FSX, PNW, & PNW SP.008, did you also reinstall PNW SP.005 and complete the procedure by installing the Latest Orbx Libraries 140302.

Before deleting any Scenery.cfg entries, I would however attempt to find the ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\SCENERY directory, to make sure there are files inside, also check the ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\TEXTURE directory to make sure there are files in there. This is the default location for Orbx Library \scenery \texture files.

One thing I would definitely try to do before doing anything else would be, in this order set FTX Central to North America, click APPLY then install PNW SP5 then PNW SP8 then install the latest Orbx Libraries, which will refresh the scenery.cfg and the location of the Orbx Libs. If that fails to deliver try cycling FTX Central clicking APPLY each time, and restart FSX in between, this will also reset the Scenery.cfg

Hope this helps

Cheers Jeff

Hi Bob,

I've just been looking at your issue, the error you see is caused by FSX not being able to find the Orbx libs located in ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\SCENERY. After reading a few other topics about Scenery.cfg errors (not specifically related to your issue) but the advice given would be to delete the offending entry in the Scenery.cfg. (There are some things you can try before you go this route)

In your description you say that you Reinstalled FSX, PNW, & PNW SP.008, did you also reinstall PNW SP.005 and complete the procedure by installing the Latest Orbx Libraries 140302.

Before deleting any Scenery.cfg entries, I would however attempt to find the ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\SCENERY directory, to make sure there are files inside, also check the ORBX\FTX_AU\FTXAA_ORBXLIBS\TEXTURE directory to make sure there are files in there. This is the default location for Orbx Library \scenery \texture files.

One thing I would definitely try to do before doing anything else would be, in this order set FTX Central to North America, click APPLY then install PNW SP5 then PNW SP8 then install the latest Orbx Libraries, which will refresh the scenery.cfg and the location of the Orbx Libs. If that fails to deliver try cycling FTX Central clicking APPLY each time, and restart FSX in between, this will also reset the Scenery.cfg

Hope this helps

Cheers Jeff

Hey Jeff, thanks for the reply. 

I did not do the sp5, I downloaded the new one (8) from the store. I did solve the problem though. I did not know this till now (5 years later) that there is a scenery.cfg file in the "Program Data" folder. I looked in all the other likely places i.e. Appdata/ , the FSX install folder etc but could not find a scenery.cfg file that contained and entry for #120. I did a search just for the heck of it and found the one in the Program Data folder then removed the entry. This brings up a question as to whether or not the store's latest pnw na blue 8 has an issue, or was I supposed to install 5 1st? I would think not if the store is putting out the #8 patch with lib inclusive file. All works well just so you know.

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob,

Seems like you have done all the right things, and your error message is resolved. I don't believe there is a problem with SP8 all Inclusive but then again I have not installed that version, I didn't think it necessary because I had already installed the standalone incremental SP5 & SP8 and am unlikely to need P3D installers.

Yes the Store download contains everything you needed SP5 6 7 & 8 are all included in that download, I installed all my SPs as they became available so SP5 then SP8 standalone was the way to go before the all inclusive SP8 was made available.

The ACTIVE Scenery.cfg does live in  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX, always a good thing to know, interesting isn't it just how FSX distributes its core files around the system.

Cheers Jeff

Hi Bob,

Seems like you have done all the right things, and your error message is resolved. I don't believe there is a problem with SP8 all Inclusive but then again I have not installed that version, I didn't think it necessary because I had already installed the standalone incremental SP5 & SP8 and am unlikely to need P3D installers.

Yes the Store download contains everything you needed SP5 6 7 & 8 are all included in that download, I installed all my SPs as they became available so SP5 then SP8 standalone was the way to go before the all inclusive SP8 was made available.

The ACTIVE Scenery.cfg does live in  C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX, always a good thing to know, interesting isn't it just how FSX distributes its core files around the system.

Cheers Jeff

Thanks Jeff... I just do not understand why all there auxiliary support files were not installed in one directory. Maybe there is a reason but appdata seems to be a good place for everything to be along with a descriptive folder name.

OH well maybe it was the OS's requirement. 

Thanks Again

Bob

Archived