Moving FTX scenery and airport to a new computer

Thomas_LOLW

Hi,

It is time for me buy a new computer - however I am a bit scared of reinstalling all the FTX scenery and airports I am currently running on my old PC.

My idea is to make a disk image of my FSX and Win7 hard disk (with ACRONIS backup software) and move all the files in one step to the new computer.

Is there any copy protection form ORBX which is linked to the hardware specification - which would of course prevent me from doing this shortcut.

Thanks, Thomas

Just added one order number:

#FSS0274813

Hi Thomas

I am no expert so I stand to be corrected but when you install Orbx files on your hard drive entries are also made in the Windows registry which you would not have included in your disk image.

This would render your image unworkable.

Best of luck

Kind regards

Ian

For obvious reasons we don't divulge any copy protection measures.

Acronis is 'supposedly' able to transfer disc images to 'dissimilar hardware', but I have never tried it.  The major problems I would foresee would be with Windows itself, rather than FSX or FTX.

Personally, I see a new computer as the ideal opportunity for a new clean install (rather than carrying over all the problems of the old install), so that would be my suggestion.

This is not a problem with Acronis. I have done this several times. The backup should be on a separate hard drive. Insert the Acronis DVD, start, search and install the image.
Windows, Office and FSX need to be re-registered. Windows will re-registered on the phone. FSX and Office went online.
New motherboard drivers and video drivers you have to reinstall anyway.

Archived