65S Bonners Ferry Veering traffic?!?

tomvaillencourt

Odd thing... Every time a DEFAULT AI Aircraft lands at Bonners ferry It immediately veers off the runway... I thought this might be a feature to coinside with the deer, but Ive only seen the deer on two or three flights, and the traffic veers every time. It also lands very hard on touchdown.

on a side note is there a reason the FTX NA AI Traffic does not appear at this airport?

Hi Tom, I'm not sure what's up with that, I think there's some kind of paranormal anomaly somehow connected to the Bermuda triangle at 65S that causes it. I pulled my hair out trying to figure out what the problem was prior to release, it actually doesn't make any difference if you completely disable all FTX/Orbx stuff in the scenery library so I don't think it's connected to Orbx 65S itself. Also IIRC it's aircraft specific, the Skyhawk and the Archer do it but the Baron doesn't. Oddly enough, in an attempt to connect it to a particular aircraft I set up a test traffic file at nearby KSZT Sandpoint with similar conditions and the AI behaved normally with no dancing around at all that I noticed (they just flew into the mountain on downwind whenever the wind favored Rwy 1, but...).

My official stand on the issue is therefore: "damifino" :)

Jim

No, Graham told me 65S didn't make it into the FTX NA AI package unfortunately. I decompiled the default traffic file and found there are only 3 Mooney Bravo flights into 65S and as I recall the Mooney didn't have the problem either. We had a guy learning to fly back in the 80s that had poor depth perception and he was trying to learn in a C170. He ended up ground looping it on 02 right about where the Skyhawk veers off the runway. I guess we'll just have to pass the screwy AI off as "As real as it gets", lol

Jim

• 4 months later...

Actually the more I look around the more I'm seeing this at other FTX PNW airports.  saw it so far at Bonners, Cushman, and Orcas and it doesnt seem to matter which direction they land .. on rollout the suddenly veer off the right side of the runway, stop for a second, then turn back on and continue to taxi normally... Its really weird.

Archived