connecting to internet

Darryl

Hi, maybe some will know this question, I have a older Dell that i use at home with windows XP that i can get online with at work , i ran a CATV 5{is that the right wire}  from it to my other Dell with Vista of which is not online,,,i dont know what the next steps would be to get the Vista computer online, is this possible, what do i need to do with the Vista computer

Well what do you want to achieve?  Do you want to get both PC's on the NET through your router or simply share info between the 2 Dell's.

Shareing between the 2 Dells is done with a CAT5 Crossover cable usually coloured "Yellow".

My advice is to buy a 5 Port switch and attach this to your router thus giving you an easy way of sharing the incoming connection to at least 4 PC's by placing this downstream of your existing connection to the Vista PC that is "On the Net". Unfortunately this depends on exactly how things connect to the NET via your ADSL Modem/Router and whether there is NAPT in that router, whether you want to have the 2 PC's parallel or star topography assuming there are CAT5 Ports available (good) or in series with sharing set up (Not Good). And whether you are using fixed IP addresses internally in your network or have DHCP invoked.

I hope this has assisted in answering your question

Archived