Shimmering, flashing objects at airport sceneries

JimH

I have the USA NA Blue PNW scenery, plus almost all of the payware airport sceneries for the PNW area.  I am also using the FTX Global freeware airports pack #1 with some photoscenery in California.

My problem is that some objects within the airport areas glisten/shimmer/flash excessively (during the day), looking like a bunch of flashing lights from a distance.  This appears to be a light-reflection issue because the problem disappears when the objects are viewed from a different angle.  This problem also pretty much disappears when the objects are viewed from a distance of less than about 1,000 feet.  This shimmering/flashing only occurs at the airport scenery areas, not within the general Orbx PNW areas, not within my virtual cockpit, and not with my non-Orbx photoscenery area in California.  The problem does occur in both the Orbx PNW airports and also in the Orbx Global freeware airports in CA.

The items that are glistening/flashing include aircraft parked at the airports, but also with other objects.  For example, the logs placed along the river near Israel's Farm appear, from an altitude of more than about 1,000 feet, like a mass of flashing white lights.  When I view the PNW horizon, each airport in the distance is quite visible as a mass of white flashing lights.  This issue occurs with both DX9 and DX10, but is more pronounced with DX10.  I've tried various FSX AA settings and bloom settings, but this doesn't have much effect.  I normally use DX10 with Steve's DX10 fixer.

I know that some other people don't have this problem, so it must be unique to my particular system/settings.  I haven't tried changing settings in Nvidia Inspector - I've read that with DX10, Nvidia Inspector only affects some settings and you must make other changes in the fsx.cfg...I'm rather confused about this.

I think that the Orbx sceneries are fantastic, and if I can fix this one issue, everything will be pretty much perfect.  Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim H.

FSS0114716, FSS0145460, FSS0248090, FSS0246284, etc. 

PNW patch #006

Orbx Libraries #131215

Intel i7 3770k @4.3 GHZ

GTX 670 graphics card

FSX Gold

DX10 with Steve's DX10 fixer

Windows 7

Archived