RV-4 Vibration

cloudswimmer

Hi,

I bought the RV-4 today and am overall very pleased. However the airframe seems to have a little too much of what I assume is engine vibration in flight, yet no engine vibration on the ground at idle (except for a couple seconds at start up)This seems backwards to me, but maybe this is how it is real world in an RV-4 (I only have flight time in Piper Warriors)Anyhoo is there a parameter in the aircraft.cfg I can adjust to smoothen it out? I do have Ezdok and Accufeel, but turned em off to rule that out. Thanks

Chris Strobel

RV-4 250357

The engine vibration is dynamic. It's hard coded into our physics engine. As the engine wear and condition becomes worse the engine vibration at idle will increase. Fly 100 hours in the aircraft and you will notice a slight increase on the ground but to really pick it up you would have to treat the aircraft pretty rough. At about 2200 past tbo the vibration will begin to get quite significant and at about 3000 the vibration will become really severe. If you run the engine to 4000 the engine will fail. All these figures vary significantly dependent on the way you treat the aircraft though. You may notice an increase sooner or later dependent on random detonation, mixture leaning and power settings. All this is coded into the physics engine and due to it's complexity cannot be turned off or modified. At the same time as all this there is a certain amount of airframe vibration. This is most dependent on angle of attack but airspeed g-force and other contributors are also calculated.

Oh I should mention that the engine vibration should never be that server. If you keep an eye on the oil level and fill it every 50 hours, replace cylinders that drop below 50/80 and overhaul the engine at 2000 hrs.

Wow that is intense my friend. I've been into flight simulation since the Sublogic days, and this is one of the coolest small GA aircraft addons I've ever seen. Lots to learn I love it! Ok so your saying the airframe vibration I'm seeing in flight with a new and serviced aircraft would be normal as per the real aircraft? Again I have only real flight hours in a Warrior and 172, never been in a little LSA or home built so its all new to me and I wouldn't know what to expect.

On another note, perhaps in the future it would be cool to add a steam gauge panel option like Ant's does with their Tecnam for those of us without Haswell rigs. Just a thought :) The glass avionics are super sweet, but the map page is unusable on my 5ghz Sandy and GTX 670. No big deal for me though as I use Foreflight on the iPad anyways for my moving map in FSX. I'd say congratulations and thank you for a lovely little fun aircraft, and thanks for your support and presence here! Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Chris

The engine vibration is dynamic. It's hard coded into our physics engine. As the engine wear and condition becomes worse the engine vibration at idle will increase. Fly 100 hours in the aircraft and you will notice a slight increase on the ground but to really pick it up you would have to treat the aircraft pretty rough. At about 2200 past tbo the vibration will begin to get quite significant and at about 3000 the vibration will become really severe. If you run the engine to 4000 the engine will fail. All these figures vary significantly dependent on the way you treat the aircraft though. You may notice an increase sooner or later dependent on random detonation, mixture leaning and power settings. All this is coded into the physics engine and due to it's complexity cannot be turned off or modified. At the same time as all this there is a certain amount of airframe vibration. This is most dependent on angle of attack but airspeed g-force and other contributors are also calculated.

Oh I should mention that the engine vibration should never be that server. If you keep an eye on the oil level and fill it every 50 hours, replace cylinders that drop below 50/80 and overhaul the engine at 2000 hrs.

Let me just add to this that this is right up there with A2A's C172 for feel!  Just picked it up and absolutely love the way it handles.  It's not as sophisticated as A2A's effort, but it's got that same kind of depth and realism, and I'm astonished how thorough the modeling is!

WARNING: Just took this up over EINN in the new FTXEUIRL, there was a HUGE thunderstorm, 95 knot winds at 5,000 feet.... completely stalled out and newbie to the plane, had to glide back down for an emergency landing.  And I was being shaken around by the wind buffets like a toy in a puppy's mouth the whole way down.... PHEW!  That was exciting.

I will have to learn this aircraft a little better before taking it right into a massive storm........

Thanks again for the fun!

Thanks mate I'm flattered but in the interest of fairness Accusim is a bit out of my league. Accusim is fdx integrated tech as far as I understand it and I am amazed at the extent they went into the core engine. Our Tech is a FDX enhancement using existing failure calls and only interfacing with the front end code. It allows us to simulate most of the things that Accusim does but as I understand it from their descriptions Accusim is a far more in depth way of doing it. For the end user however we tried to make the experience as realistic as we could manage.

I'm just hoping you guys enjoy the aircraft enough to experience some of the random failures or maintenance tech... That's where the real magic comes in but it requires lots of flying ;)

I'm on the Accusim beta team, and am suppose to be testing out the latest Accusim beta and 172, but haven't even cracked it open since buying this RV-4, its that captivating and fun to me :) (Don't tell Scott lol) The vibration during cruise however still seems a bit unatural i.e jittery to me, and it would be cool to have some back lighting on the pfd during day flight (Its hard to see flying into the sun) Again the Ant's Tecnam P92 Sierra would be an example of PFD back lighting I would point to. I hope the developer (Jared I assume) keeps at it, very talented individual!

Thanks again!

Chris

Archived