how to get help [terrain cfg has no landclasses section]

cobra57

So I repaired / re-installed FSX, and when I open Orbx central it still said no terrain.cfg etc, but now when I open FSX  it go in to the start up and states there is a fatal error and  it closed. I have rebooted many time and it is still the same , just worst !!!!! HELP

Is anyone going to jump in here and help. Failing that can anyone tell me how to un-install all my orbx product ?

Let's Just backtrack a little:

Hi there,

you could try replacing the corrupt terrain.cfg with a backup copy and letting FTX Central re-insert the required FTX entries; see http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/65749-ftx-central-error-terraincfg-has-no-landlclass-section

Did you follow the link in the Holger's post (quoted above for your convenience).  It contains a link to a thread that contains a download-link of the terrain.cfg file, and describes almost exactly your problem. 

there is no terrain.cfg file in the FSX folder

This is very likely the heart of the problem.

The "terrain cfg has no [ landclasses] section" should have been fixed by replacing terrain.cfg. Can you list the exact steps you took for that?

As Holger has requested, exactly 'what' didn't work?   "It did not work." doesn't quite help us.    You weren't able to complete the process?  You completed it but nothing changed?  It is unclear what you mean.

As I'm sure you can appreciate, a three word answer doesn't fill in the blanks very well when trying to work out the exact problem.

Could you please outline exactly which steps you took in as much detail as you can, and what you feel happened, and what you had difficulty with. (include any error messages or bits you did not understand)

So I repaired / re-installed FSX, and when I open Orbx central it still said no terrain.cfg etc, but now when I open FSX  it go in to the start up and states there is a fatal error and  it closed. I have rebooted many time and it is still the same , just worst !!!!! HELP

I can only hope that repairing FSX over the top hasn't completely corrupted everything (as I assume this is what you have done).  It may have been wiser to carefully follow the suggestions and links Holger had posted, but in any case we can only try to resurrect things from here, otherwise a brand new FSX install is going to be in order.

OK let me start again. I have many Orbx products and everything was working fine, till I  installed the England unit. When I installed it all went normal as with before. But the first time I used it when landing at EGLL the taxi ways and ramps turn into a field of trees and random building. That is when I made contact here and have following all the instruction that were given to me Please the above chain for them. Then after not getting any more direction, I put the FSX software disc(s) into my computer and choice the "repair" option  and ran it with no problem. However I am still getting the warning box about no Terrain.cfg when I start Orbx central  and what is new when I try to start FSX, it starts to load then warns of a Fatal error and shuts down. I have tried rebooting many time. I hope this is helpful 

Specifically, did you?

1. Download the terrain.zip file from the other thread.

2. Unzip it

3. Locate the terrain.cfg file in your Flight Simulator X program directory (ie the one that is reported as missing the Landclasses entries)

4. Replace that file with the one in the ZIP package.

You reported after these instructions were given that there was no terrain.cfg file in that directory, which points to either a VERY corrupted install, or you were looking in the wrong directory.  Given the issue is reported as this file, this is where your attention needs to be directed.  If you have placed the file from the .zip in some 'other' directory it will (obviously) have no effect.  If there is no terrain.cfg file in the directory you are looking at there is a VERY REAL chance that you are in the WRONG directory.

The effect of a repair is uncertain, depending on what mode FTXCentral was in.  You may have to reinstall FTXGlobal files if you re using these, and cycle FTXCentral from Global (or default) (and apply) back to the FTX-Eng region (and Apply)

AS I said before I have done all that has been asked ( with no improvement ) and yes I put the unziped file in C;program files (x86) / microsoft games / FSX. and it is still there. If this is what orbx is looking for, then for some reason it is not "seeing" / reading it, as it is there.

It may be best.

If you are removing FSX,
Run the FSX Uninstall from the Control Panel.

Then navigate to your
\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator X directory and delete it.

That will give you a fresh start including removing FTX programs.

A couple of tips:
Install FSX to a 'non-standard' location if you are using Win 7 or 8. Somewhere outside the Program Files directory. This will prevent permissions issues.
Make sure you update FSX to Acceleration /SP2 before installing any FTX products.

well I have got FSX and orbx up and running again. I had to completely remove FSX, then re-install, then restore my computer to about a month ago, repair FSX. Then I had to cycle orbx back and forth many times to get it to work. Could you please tell me what are the max setting in FSX are to make Orbx work right. I do not think I am getting the most out of it. I also lost "BOB" but I will re-install him later. I still have to get all my saitek equipment up and running. Anyway thanks to all for your help.

Archived