Service Pack 2 for NZSI and "Clean Installs"

Hangar200

Greetings,

Ran into a situation yesterday where the runway/taxiways/apron at MILFORD Sound (NZMF ) were a good meter or so below the rest of the scenery - causing floating fences, half buried cars in the parking lot, etc.  Being a scenery designer myself, I know this is caused by a mismatch between the airfield's runway/taxiways/apron and the surrounding scenery.  I've run into this issue occasionally with ORBX scenery and the solution was simply to turn the region off then on in FTX Central.  This time that didn't work.

I tried re-loading NZSI SP 2 - got almost to the end and there was one bmp file in the Scenery/World/Texture folder that could not be updated - purportedly that it was "in use" by another application.  Nothing else was running.

I noted that it is recommended to run the SP2 from a "clean installation" of NZSI - so I did that - more bad news - it wouldn't finish the install - similar error messages.  The error message did say the file would be installed after a restart - although I'm not sure how but I went ahead and restarted.

Did the same for SP 2 - same error - restarted after that install was done.  Finally re-installed Milford Sound.  It loaded fine.  Started FSX and the Milford Sound scenery was back to normal.

I ran all the installs with supervisor permissions.  I have UAC turned off.  The Scenery/World/Texture is listed as "Read Only" under properties - I can change that but it doesn't "stick" (a known Windows 7 issue).

Not exactly a issue since I got it all back - however, I am a little concerned regarding how the "Clean Install" went and wonder if I'll run into problems down the road.  

I noticed that there is no way to remove a scenery area.  I am also confused as to what state FTX Central should be in when you install an area - I always thought it was to be set to default FSX.  Same for the SP?  I have been installing airports with the appropriate scenery area selected.  Is that correct?

Great scenery - I'm saving up for Queenstown so I can get the full experience of the Milford Sound Air C802 run.   :)

For the error message in the installer, it sounds like FSX hadn't released the files yet. Restarting is the correct procedure since it will force FSX to release it's hold on the files and the installer can do its job.

Here are guides to uninstall an airport/region/all products:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/30378-uninstalling-all-orbx-products-a-quick-guide/

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/30377-uninstalling-na-regions-a-quick-guide/

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/30376-uninstalling-ftx-airports-a-quick-guide/

Finally, for installing a service pack always set FTX Central to the region the SP is being applied to, just in case

Archived