EU England - Airfield missing

franck66

Hi Franck.

I'm 99% sure that Westcott hasn't been an active airfield since WW2 which is why it isn't included. The airfield certainly used to be MOD property until very recently as it was the home of the Rocket propulsion establishment, if you look closely at the Google earth image you can see some of the rocket test buildings on one of the runways. Here's a couple of links..

http://www.abct.org.uk/airfields/westcott

http://www.controltowers.co.uk/W-Z/Westcott.htm

Mike.

Ah! I see what you mean. In reality you're quite right, it was a very busy unofficial VRP for many local flying clubs who used it as a useful area for general handling excercises. I say 'was' because I used to be an Air traffic controller at Luton and one of my jobs was providing the Lower Airspace Radar Service in that area but, as I left there in 1990 my information on current use is somewhat out of date! 

Regards.

Mike

I say 'was' because I used to be an Air traffic controller at Luton and one of my jobs was providing the Lower Airspace Radar Service in that area but, as I left there in 1990 my information on current use is somewhat out of date! 

Luton no longer provide a LARS, Brize Norton would be providing the service for this area (and a very good one at that!). These days you'd speak to Luton Radar only for a zone transit, a small portion of that time they'll hand you over to Tower for the actual crossing.

However, I've noticed quite a few missing disused airfields. Whilst I know they are of "least importance" in regards to airfields in the sim, it'd be nice to have them for VFR VRP's, they're really handy in the real world!

Archived