FSX scenery suddenly very badly disrupted

jorvik

Hi:

recently did reinstall of fsx on new computer, and have been slowly reinstalling all scenery.  everything looked great after doing ftx AUS, ftx NA and ftxNZ, GEX and UTX.  everything behaving well together until yesterday.  after switching from ftx nA to default, istarted aflight at Portland int apt, and the attached image shows extreme disruption.  switching back to ftx looked as if it corrected p[problem but further investigation showed general chaos around and throughout airport.  haave not looked at Europe or oceania yet to see if disruption is world wide.

looks as if most of problem centered on west coast of north America, but have not done a lot of testing.

I recall some old threads with similar issues but could not find them again.  I tried re-enabling UTX because I recall that UTX might have been involved.

here are urls for 3 jpegs

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/AnW
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/And
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/Ans

any advice allows me to avoid complete fsx reinstallation will be greatly appreciated.

jorvik

Hi Alex:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I followed your instructions and checked the ftx ade file for Portland;  it was suffixed as .bgl. however wen I fired up the sim, kdpx looked reasonable, except for having highways flipping through the airport, around runways and into buildings.  you can see some this in the first screen capture in my initial post (name ending with AnW).  So I am not sure what the problem is though it may be limited to the us and Canada.

further ideas are welcome

jorvik

Hi jorvik,

The highways are another issue, I haven't looked too much into that yet. Could you provide a few more screenshots with examples of the messed up highways? I can't see too much from the first screenshot so I'd like to take another look.

Regards,

Alex

Hi Alex:

I am puzzled.  this morning, with ftx central set to default, Portland kpdx is again messed up further along runway, as shown in the first photo.  I checked my scenery/world scenery and, as before all of the ftx ade pnw files ( including the one for portland) have .bgl endings.  in fact, with 1 or 2 exceptions, all the ftx bgl files in this folder end with .bgl (which I presume means they are active).  ftx central is working in regard to all the other ftx folders, which do not appearing in scenery cfg.  leaving ftx central on default and manually disabling the ftx ade for Portland, the airport scenery looks very good (2nd attached jpg), except for the highway issue & railroad lines.  finally, setting ftx central to na and reenabling ftx ade kpdx, the airport looks fine again, is noticeably different than default, but still shows a sizable highway suddenly emerging from a building and running between runway and other roads but  no railroad lines visible (image 3). 

if I understand how ftx switching works, it seems that the failure of a bunch of ftx files in scenery/world/scenery to be inactivated when ftx is disabled is the problem.

I forgot to mention yesterday that I have not yet got around to removing incompatibilities between ultimate terrain and ftx, so some of the funny things may be related to this.

jorvik

Hi for a third time:

I just came across an ftx forum thread which sounds like an issue very similar to mine.  title is "ftx central problem", dated 8 October this year and has to do with airport elevation files switching on and off or not doing so.  I did not find a final resolution here. any thoughts?

jorvik

Hi Jorvik,

The third picture actually looks accurate to what KPDX should show. I'm not sure on the part where the road goes through the terminal structure but there is a loop road that runs parallel to the runways and to the main terminal. 

I'll check up on the road through the terminal

Hi Alex:

Thanks for the comment about kpdx.  this still leaves open the more important issue about ftx central and switching ade airport altitude files on and off.  please clarify how this is supposed to happen and could you also comment on the October 8 thread which I referred to earlier.

many thanks.

jorvik 

Archived