PNW Airport Install Order?

WarHorse47

Is there a recommended sequence or order of installation for the PNW airports?

I recently added W16 Monroe and 0S9 Jefferson County, and later came across a comment in the forum that I should have installed 0S9 before W16.

Both airports are beautiful and I'm looking forward to additional purchases, but I'm a little concerned about installing anything that may overwrite previous installed airports.  I did not see any caution about the order of installation, so I was hoping to get some clarification or at least some direction on future installs.

Thanks

Hmmm...  Didn't realize this was a tough question. 8)

Because the various airport packages were made at different times, I would think that there might be a chance of some common files being overwritten.

Since nobody has responded to my question, I am just going to assume its not a problem and go ahead and get some more airports.  ::)

Thanks anyways

--WH

There is a chance that some common files may be overwritten, but it's generally accepted that you install any airports first, followed by any region patches, and followed once again by the latest version of the Orbx Libs. By design the region service packs will overwrite those files once again if necessary, ensuring that you have the latest versions of any files that may be altered by an airport installer. Likewise, the Orbxlibs ensure that you have the latest versions of all object libraries.

Jim

So I guess I'm still a bit confused, sorry.... my assumption has been that you install region, patch it up to latest; THEN install airports; then polish off with latest ORBXLibs? I only chime in as some minor anomalies I've had in PNW might be due to my having followed that logic?

Since some of the airport installers do overwrite region files, my opinion is that you should always reinstall the latest region patch after any airport installs. As an example, Cushman will overwrite a PNW road traffic file, at the time of release apparently there were some adjustments needed. KHQM Bowerman came along after Cushman and also needed some traffic adjustments, so if you had KHQM installed prior to installing Cushman, you'll see traffic driving around on the airport grounds at KHQM following the Cushman install. Reinstalling the PNW.005 patch will overwrite the traffic file once again with yet a further updated version which contains the adjustments needed for both airports.

Jim

I'm sure glad I asked the question.

As I mentioned in my initial post, I just acquired Monroe Firstair and Jefferson County.  These were installed after I applied the patch, latest libraries, four of the freeware airfields, and Swanson.

I thought all was well, but this evening I returned to Bowerrman to find that the scenery was messed up - boxes instead of vegetation, and no restaurant, and a few other ugly things.  So I reinstalled patch 005 and the latest libraries as suggested, and all appears back in order.

Thanks for the information.

--WH

Archived