Scatsta and North Ronaldsway problem

Mike R

Hi there.

I have a strange problem with terrain on Scatsta and North Ronaldsay airfields. Sorry! I haven't included a screenshot as I can't find the FAQ that tells me how so far. The problems are ......

North Ronaldsay: The airfield is raised above the surrounding terrain on a plateau.

Scatsta: The airfield apron is below ground level in a cutting appprox 40ft deep. The runway is covered by a second ground level which has grass covering showing the FTX grass tufts.

Here's the strange thing. No other airfields in Scotland, or indeed Orkney or Shetland are affected and are all working perfectly!

Mike.

FTX Scotland. FSS0218287

Hi Paul.

1,I do run UT2 but as I know that doesn't use any AFCADS I don't believe it's that.

2.I do have Scotflight and GenX for this area installed but NOT active as the airfields in Scotflight don't work with FTX.

3.Mesh resolution set to 5 metres.

I'm wondering if a simple 'go to default then reselect region' might sort it but would like to run it by you before trying in case it causes bigger issues?

Mike

P.S. My thinking is. I MAY has deactivated the GenX and Scotflight scenery library entries after applying Scotland from FTX central thus leaving some residual effect. I have to say, however, I don't see this anywhere else in Scotland and I've looked thoroughly.

Hi,

Do a simple Default then back to region won't cause any issues and can infact fix some so go ahead a try it.

If that doesn't work can you search the fsx folder for any files to do with the 2 airports (EGPM and EGEN) you should only find 3 files for each in this folder "{fsx}\ORBX\FTX_EU\FTX_EU_SCO_05_SCENERY\scenery\"

Paul

Hi Paul.

I'm afraid there's no change to the problem. All three files for both airfields show in the appropriate file. I do have UTX europe installed but running below FTX in the scenery library. I don't know if this is relevent, can't see how myself?

Mike

Ok that means somewhere you have an addon that is affecting those airports but its not Orbx.

I would start by disabling all addons in the scenery library and see if that fixes it, if it does then re-enable addons 1 at a time until you find the culprit.

Paul

Righto Paul. I have disabled the only airfield add-on I have for North Ronaldsay and Scatsta which is Scotflight. The GenX photo secenery is already disabled yet there's still no change to the problem.  

I may have some evidence that might help. I have identified the 'active' AFCAD for North Ronaldsay and Scatsta. Both show an inactive file at the next layer showing as an altitude adjustment file. I can't open it but suspect it may be associated with the GenX photo scenery. The GenX entries in the secenery library are all selected OFF. I really think this may be relevent as when I look at all the other airfields in the the Orkney and Shetland isles NONE, other than North Ronaldsay and Scatsta have this addition. I'm continuing to investigate.

Mike

Hi Paul.

I was just going further with this and have solved it. By the way, your suggestion would have also had the same effect. I'll just put a short explanation here as it may effect others. ...

I had Scotflight and GenX photoscenery area 5 installed. After installing FTX Scotland I allowed the Scotflight scenery and GenX to remain installed but de-selected all the scenery library entries associated with both items of software......However, even doing this leaves two files that are altitude adjustment files in the Scenery/World file of FSX. It was these that did the deed! Doing as Paul suggests solves the problem but I suspect that even if you uninstall both these items of scenery you may need to manually remove them. Once they've gone you're fine.

Thanks for your help Paul.  

Mike

Archived