FSX crashes on startup after AU install

purduekev

Hello:

I have been reinstalling my NA and EU sceneries over the last couple of weeks.  All has been successful and FSX has been running flawlessly.

This evening I started to reinstall AU.  After installing AU Gold and Blue and the Holgermesh and SP04, I tried to start up FSX and I am getting a crash to desktop at the splash screen every time.  It happens no matter what region I select in FTX Central.

I wanted to follow the uninstall routine for AU but since I can't get in to FSX at all right now to delete the scenery file entires, I deleted the AU folder in the Orbx folder.  Nothing - same crash is happening.

How can I get FSX working back to how I had it just a few minutes ago??  This clearly occurred when installing AU - everything was working fine before that point.

Thanks,

Kevin

Alright, I am trying to now uninstall the scenery entries per the instructions.  I am able to do so, but if I switch FTX Central back to Default and then to another region, the AU scenery entries reappear and there is an error message that each of the folders are missing.  How do I get FSX to stop that?  I want to clean uninstall AU so I can reinstall cleanly without issues.

I was able to reinstall AU Blue and Gold and SP4 and everything is working again.  The trick apparently was to DISABLE SweetFX when installing a region.  Whatever file SweetFX modifies must need to be set back at default state when the region installs.  Once I got through the install I could reenable SweetFX and everything was in order.  I tested in FTX Central a few times switching back and forth between regions and starting up FSX, and there have been no problems so far.

Moderator, I suppose you could mark this resolved since I figured it out...  Perhaps you might consider passing this tidbit in the Compatibility section if anyone else has trouble with SweetFX?  As long as one is aware to disable SweetFX during region install then everything seems to work fine.

Thanks!

Hi Kevin..

Thanks for posting this. I ran in to the exact same thing when reinstalling AU last night although I installed all AU regions in one go from the SP3-installer.

If you don't mind a small question.. what do I need to do to disable SweetFX.. can I do that without deleting the files from the main FSX-folder, or do I just remove them before installing and then replace them once I've finished reinstalling all my ORBX-regions??

Also, I'm pretty sure I was running SweetFX when I installed England and Wales a few months back (before I started reinstalling windows and FSX) and that worked fine, so prehaps this is just related to the AU region

Hi Kevin..

Thanks for posting this. I ran in to the exact same thing when reinstalling AU last night although I installed all AU regions in one go from the SP3-installer.

If you don't mind a small question.. what do I need to do to disable SweetFX.. can I do that without deleting the files from the main FSX-folder, or do I just remove them before installing and then replace them once I've finished reinstalling all my ORBX-regions??

Also, I'm pretty sure I was running SweetFX when I installed England and Wales a few months back (before I started reinstalling windows and FSX) and that worked fine, so prehaps this is just related to the AU region

Hi:

I have the SweetFX Configurator installed to adjust my settings, so for that there actually is a selection button to selectively deactivate SweetFX for any specific application for which you have it installed.  It does not delete your settings or presets, so you can then reactivate with the press of a dialogue button.

If you originally installed SweetFX manually, I think you can just cut and paste the files that you installed in your root folder for SweetFX temporarily to another location to disable, and then repaste those same files back in after you are done - if you do that, your settings should be saved.  SweetFX does not overwrite any existing FSX files that I could tell (I did check to make sure).

I had installed SweetFX after I had the NA and England regions installed, so I don't know if this is limited to just AU region installs.  I have installed several Orbx airports with SweetFX in place and active with no problems at all.  For me, I will probably just disable SweetFX via the Configurator prior to doing any other region installs in the future, since it is fairly straightforward.

I am not an expert on this software at all, my guess is that the injector.ini file for SweetFX doesn't "play nice" somehow when FSX starts up the first time with certain new textures in that region.  Once you can get FSX to start up, everything is fine thereafter, so it seems just to be an initialization thing when you first run FSX after the region install.

Thanks once again Kevin.

I do have the configurator installed, but hadn't seen that it had an option for deactivation.

Was at work when I wrote earlier so I couldn't check either (for some strange reason sweetFX isn't part of my tools as an accountant :) )

But I can now confirm that your solution did indeed work.

Many many thanks yet again!

Archived