NA GA AI Traffic and VRSimulations' TacPack

Hi,

I wanted to report a possible interaction between the above-named freeware and vrsimulations.com's TacPack/F/A-18 Superbug add-on.

At least with latest Nvidia WHQL drivers (320.18), given some testing on my system, it looks like if you have the FTX Freeware AI enabled (whether FSX default AI is ticked on or off), it risks leading to an FSX fatal error (with REX Essentials+ Overdrive in the mix).  If I disable the FTX NA GA AI traffic (v1.10), and enable the FSX default traffic, the crash no longer occurs.

I had thought using both FSX and NA GA AI ticked on at the same time was the problem (FSX Air Traffic set to 22 on my system), but tried just NA GA AI and the crash occurred, under exact same conditions.

The specific scenario is, fly the F/A-18 From Gray AAF, runway 15 to Seattle, circle left after takeoff, around Gray AAF to head north to KSEA, and the crash invariably occurs right at the moment you're passing Gray AAF.

I suspect a simple memory overload issue but just wanted to let you know, in case others run into this likely rare add-on interaction.

This is a good excuse for ORBX to try the TacPack, it really is quite amazing and a good load test on ORBX scenery! (no frame rate issues, just this packed-to-the-gills memory situation).  I'd recommend a copy for each member of the team to test this out. :)

Best,

Steve

Update: not sure it's the AI at all, now. Only seems to happen with a specific flight pattern. Guess I'll have to restrict taking off from Runway 15 at Gray if I want to fly north in the F/A-18. Weird! TacPack is probably hitting a mass of targets on this particular route, I'm guessing.....

Archived