Install on a different folder

simbio

Hi

Why after all this year we can't install scenery from orbx on a different location, I bought SAK AND I can't install where I want to.

I have many product and i would like to install them but the SSD is full.

I have read that I can redirect the ORBX folder with tool like DirLinker. but it's not supported and I wnat FTX Central to work like it should.

And If there are update or new scenery redirect can cause trouble so what is the official solution?

Thank you

Fabrizio

There is no official support for installing ORBX scenery outside its' default location within the FSX folder.

Some users have found redirects to work around this.

This is by design, in that it standardises installations and vastly reduces the support issues that customers have. Obviously, this means the FSX install drive will need to have sufficent space.

I am sorry but this is a weak point, I have an SSD wich is 250 gb and it's almost full.

So the unofficial way

Using redirect mode will FTX cetral work in that way ?

If I have to install or update ORBX fiile what I need to do?

Thank's

Hi Simbio,

This is an alternative method from redirection,

First a question, do you have only one drive ( C: ) or is FSX and Orbx installed on a separate drive E: for example, as a lot of people do.?

You say the drive is full, so I'm assuming you have to purchase another drive, correct me if I'm wrong here.

Did you know that Windows allows you to expand/extend a drive or volume onto another drive? That way you can simply increase the size of your FSX drive ( with same drive letter ) by just adding another drive into the system. You can add the whole drive or select an amount of space to use etc.

I have done this many times in XP, in which, I was able to extend the C: drive as well, but I'm not 100% sure if it still can be done in Win 7.(C: system drive ). I haven't tried it yet.

Google is your friend here, if trying to extend the system drive. Search for something like 'extend system drive in win 7'.

However, If it's the E: drive, which is full, it's very simple. Just plug in the new drive, and make it active in disk management, format etc. Then, right click on the FSX drive ( E: ) and choose 'extend volume', follow the wizard and select the new drive, note; if you don't specify a size, it will use all available space. That's it, now when you try to install into FSX in the E: drive, it will use the extra available space on the new drive as part of E: .

Posted Image

This of course assumes you are going to add another drive,

Hope this helps,

Ron.

Hi Simbio,

Just to add,

I have been told that it is possible to extend the system drive ( C: ) onto another disk in Win 7, using the same method. When the extend wizard is run, make sure to 'Add' the new drive in the 'available' box to 'selected' and should work OK.

Posted Image

In the picture above, even though it has nothing shown , you should see your new drive, just add it to 'selected' and continue.

As before, this simply adds more space to the C: drive, with no loss of data.

Ron.

Hi Simbio,

First a question, do you have only one drive ( C: ) or is FSX and Orbx installed on a separate drive E: for example, as a lot of people do.?

Ron.

Thank's for taking time to help me, I normally Install FSX on C and I have a 3 HD Raptor in RAID 5 plus another external 1T for add space.

I clone regularly my C drive just in case of trouble so I can go back if something goes wrong then the RAID which rebuild itself in case of malfunction or replacement.

Nice future the one you mention but I want to keep my C drive like it is, for trouble free.

I use a lot of photoreal, landclass and scenery from 3rd party on the RAID, that load really fast.

I still would like to know, if with redirect method , ( FTX cetral FTX Day FTX Night) will work in that way ?

This is the main important

If I have to install a new product or update one what I need to do, where can I get in trouble?

In FS world is very easy to put messy.

I have a problem now, I normally connect to vatsim with FSINN but after install ORBX SAK I can connect any more with the NGX, I need to use a default aircraft and then switch to NGX.

(maybe it's not related to install ORBX stuff but it happen and I don't know what it's caused such problem)

Thank's

Fabrizio

Archived