PNW Small Towns and Google Earth

TomG

Hi, I am new to FTX and just got PNW and Northern Rockies. I am very pleased and they look great, but I am a little confused about the small towns and villages. While flying over Rainier, WA I noticed that the major roads coming into the town look very accurate, but they meet the town's streets at a different angle. It is as if the town is "twisted" somewhat when compared to the roads as seen in Google Earth. It's no big deal, I just thought maybe UTX was interfering somehow due to a setting I am not aware of. I realize that Seattle, Tacoma, Vancouver and Portland are supposed to be very accurate, but does this apply to small towns as well? Are the small towns supposed to be as accurate as a view from Google Earth? I realize this would be quite a task. (Also, I tried to post some screenshots but after reading the post on how to do it, I am able to upload and copy them with the "BBCode" selection, but I can't get it to copy to my post here. It is grayed out.) Thanks. Tom (PCAviator #85488)

Hi Tom,

When placing cities and towns we are limited to either 1 km squares of the type of land class (LC) textures we want to show or a cutout of the same texture to fill where the cities/towns are in Google earth (GE). The city/town LC choices are limited to generally N-S or NE-SW or random looking roads. We choose the closest that fills the requirements but rarely will the LC exactly match the real world road system. It's a limitation of FSX and it's LC placement system.

I hope that answers your question.

Cheers, Neil

Archived