FTX Central PDF issue on Windows 8 64-bit?

FleetingThought

Hello,

Having recently upgraded to a new system with fresh WIn8 Pro 64-bit install, and careful reinstall of all my ORBX regions and airports: I find that if I double-click on any of the .PDFs from within FTX Central, FTX Central locks up.

I can unlock it by going to Task Manager and End-Tasking two instances of Adobe Reader (Adobe Reader XI) that are initiated by FTX Central.

I didn't have this issue prior to moving to a Windows 8 64-bit environment.

I thought it might have to do with Javascript security settings in Adobe Reader XI (enable menu items JavaScript Execution Privileges), but that didn't change anything.

Any ideas? I could try reinstalling latest ORBXLIBS but that seemed to go just fine when I finished all my installs.

Hi there,

go into Acrobat Readers prefs and choose security on the left. Turn off "open in protected mode". Accept the warning, close Reader and away you go. I suspect there is a way of making Reader see the docs handed to it by FTXC as trusted but I've got better things to do wit my time :)

Also, I've noticed that Reader never really closes properly in W8, regardless of FTXC, so there always seems to be two of it running after I've opened a PDF, and this is with or without the speed loader auto-starting

best

jake

Aha! Thank you so much -- my new install seems to be perfect otherwise, I pretty much figured it was some sort of security headache outside the software. I'm going to have to learn more about all of those (I've already achieved some expertise in W8 UAC and UAC editing and such).

It all makes me want to have __x without a _____m....... :)

Archived