FSDiscovery file for OZX 1.1 Airports

gwolb

Not sure how many people use FSDiscovery, but I put together the .dat file that shows all of the freeware airports as POI's. I just put this in the same folder: C:\Users\~\Documents\FSDiscover Files\... and this file, and then activate this in the option menu, and there you go.

http://home.woh.rr.com/wolboldt/images/fsx/Ozx%201.1%20Airports.dat

Just right click on above line, and save to your FSDiscovery folder, and then activate this in the Options, then check the POI file to make it active.

Gr8 that's convenient  ;D 

It's been a while since I used FSDiscover! - after my last reinstall of FSX I didn't even bother to reinstall FSD again.

Reason is that it is very US oriented for points of interest and such.  And after discovering FTX I moved the focus exclusively to AU.

Now thanks to your dat file we have again use for FSDiscover!  I never thought of adding AU locations myself.

Many thanks!

Thanks, it make finding the little airport gems much easier.

Also, this does replace the FTX AU BLUE and GOLD Points of Interest file.  This dat file was created for version 1.0 of the OZX airports, and the new file has all 160 some airports in it.  What I did was to keep both files and just un-check the FTX AU BLUE and GOLD Points of Interest in the options screen in FSDiscovery.  Or if you want you can just delete this file and use the new file.  Hope this helps.

Guys and girls, as both Orbx and OZx release freeware airstrips, I think it might be less confusing to all if posts about Orbx were posted here, and posts about OZx were posted over on their forum.  Likewise, if people are making extra information files on either or both of them (of course thanks for doing the work! :)), it would be great if you could clearly distinguish between both, otherwise confusion will reign.

cheers

Prof

Takes all the challenge out of it. Much more fun to go looking for these small fields with just map, compass, stopwatch and that great FTX scenery. In real-life you don't get coloured labels hovering in the air over obscure strips. Isn't the ultimate purpose of the sim to be as "real as it gets"?  ;)

Greg

The main purpose of FSDiscover is of course to show you the names of towns, rivers, mountains, ect... You don't HAVE to enable the strips, but if you like to, you CAN  ;)

Same argument. In real life, you have to learn have to navigate by comparing landmarks with the chart. And surely the benefit of realistic scenery is that you can do exactly the same.

If it's just using an electronic map, as an alternative to a paper chart, it kinda makes sense. But to put coloured labels all over that beautifully crafted scenery is really spoiling it, in my humble opinion. From the screenshots I've seen the creators of FSDiscover have never experienced real scenery so maybe they don't care if it gets vandalised with graffiti  ;)

But each to his own.

Greg

Ermmm, about 99.9 % of the time i fly, i have it off. But if i see a mountain, river, town, or whatever which i like to know more about i hit the button. Worldwide... This has absolutely nothing to do with navigation. I also can place the aircraft exactly at any location i want, or i can create flight plans along points of interest very easy.

What's wrong with that ?

Ermmm, about 99.9 % of the time i fly, i have it off. But if i see a mountain, river, town, or whatever which i like to know more about i hit the button. Worldwide... This has absolutely nothing to do with navigation. I also can place the aircraft exactly at any location i want, or i can create flight plans along points of interest very easy.

Yeah Mango - that's basically why FSDiscover is such a good tool for FSX/FTX - eg. if you want to be positioned in the Carnarvon Gorge (South of Emerald in Qld) you can bring up FSDiscover and place the acft just North of Mt. Percy - great scenery.  ;)

Archived