Comparison pics.More detail with default scnery?

rpowers46

Here are 2 shots taken between Glacier Park and Calgary.The first is default with GEX,UTX and Scenery Tech LC.The second is FTX NRM.It looks to me like there is more detail with the default scenery.Do I have FTX NRM installed properly?Thanks,Ron

Posted Image

Posted Image

It looks like NRM is installed correctly.

The GEX+UTX combination might appear to have more detail, but the detail isn't accurate to the region. The plains of Alberta don't have the scraggy scrub-like trees that are in the GEX+UTX picture or the small divided up farms. GEX can't be too specific to local areas because of the vast area it has to cover so it's showing grassland that may be accurate to another part of Canada but doesn't fit in out in Alberta.

I've been studying environmental science for a year or so now and I know a bit about the grassland of Canada, here's my thoughts on your pictures.

The open space around Calgary is mostly grassy plains, the only trees are in large stands of forest. In the lower picture you can see the green areas are grasslands like those found on the edge of forests where there is more moisture. The grey areas are the dry land where almost nothing except very low grass grows. These areas are usually found in rain shadows, like where Calgary is, just east of the Rockies.

In the distance in the lower picture you can see farms that are characteristic of the plains. They're fairly large and most of them have fields irrigated with radial irrigation. There aren't many small farms like in the top picture, most of the crops are wheat which needs to be planted in large quantities to be profitable.

Hope this helps

Alex is bang on! And Orbx has it modeled correctly. And FYI crops of Alberta look something like this....Wheat 40%, Barley 25%, Canola 25%, Oats/Rye 10%. And of course there is all that oil.

One other question.Does it matter if I am running Scenery Teck N.America?It is below FTX.Thanks,Ron

It does not matter as long as you Scenery Teck is below FTX.

Thanks for all the replies.It just looked flat and boring,like where I live in Illinois.But if that's accurate it good with me.Ron

Calgary is near the foothills of the Rockies but it also is the start of the plains of Canada, the southern plains of Alberta, Sask. and some of Manitoba are very similar to some of Illinois which I drove through last Sept.

cheers.

Thank you Alex,Looking at your picture you are probably 50 yrs younger than I am.I have been Flytsimming since the guy at "Radio Shack" where I bought my Tandy 1000 gave me Flight Simulator and said "Try this,you might enjoy it"Ron

Archived