Min Min Lights

lthendrix

As you are probably aware there are many published stories of the Min Min lights which are all intriguing and mysterious, but how does one determine the light(s) that follow or approach head on are the genuine Min Mins?

In my case I have been followed by a single light, bright and low (tree tops) for miles on the Bourke - Cobar road (Cobar NSW 31.30S 146E roughly) until I stopped to let it catch me, but it disappeared after I got out, only to return a couple of minutes after starting again, continuing for about 50 miles until I reached town. Min Min?

Years later, 1972?, as a tower controller in PNG a C402 pilot called up at thirty miles inbound and advised me he had sighted the preceding Friendship, but it was being followed by a huge green glowing ball, which eventually disappeared on entering the circuit area. The 402 pilot was high time with a sober reputation, but was nicknamed after that "Green Balls"

I guess we are fortunate that some phenomena will always remain a mystery. :unsure:

Camping on the banks of the Darling river, half way between Menindee and Wilcannia, as a kid I remember seeing lights moving through the trees and across the claypan behind out camp one night. My old man and I went to investigate but there was nothing out there by the time we got there. There were also no noises or signs of a car or bike either. I've never been able to explain it.

I love these scary stories!

I've seen these scary two red eyes at night when I went camping. But that was all you could see of it was the eyes, not even an outline of the body, but by the looks of things, it was big and tall. And then I heard a hissing sound with it. It was strange! I think some things are best to remain a mystery sometimes! :unsure: Who knows of what it could of been? >:D

AJC

Thought i seen one in south western Queensland Just past Nocundra a town with one pub a race track and nothing to do but drink. We followed it for two hours or more across the dessert no roads just desert it gradually got closer. Only to find out it was a gas flame from a relief valve in the Jackson oil fields in the very south western corner of QLD.

• 3 weeks later...

The oil gas flame reminds me of the time my car stopped because the desert heat had somehow blocked the carbon fuel filter. My wife suggested we should go and sit under the lone tree on the horizon lest we perish in the murderous temperature. That tree on the horizon was no more than one hundred metres away and it was only half a metre tall! Such are the tricks that the outback and heat haze can play on the eyes.

Not far from where I live is an old mining town called Minmi (near Newcastle NSW). For years locals have told of blue lights hanging around a part of the town (really the remnants of a town but now being built up with new dwellings). The lights were seen either near or over a cemetary (I think) and people would go out there at night to see if they could experience the lights moving about. Some have said the lights were ignited coal gas seeping to the surface from the old mine tunnels. I haven't heard about them for awhile now so maybe they have moved on. I never went out to see them.

John G

Archived