Skywest Airbus

G'day all,

I don't fly tubes much but I've been having a crack at the Airbus A320 from Aerosoft of late, and likely to jump on the iFly 737 bandwagon soon as well. The flight I've been using as practice is one that is pretty well imprinted on my bones, having made it in RL many many times. So for today's screenie post, I'm flying Karratha to Perth in WA, via WA's own Skywest airlines thanks to Jarrad's wonderful repaint. Weather was real for the time of the flight, provided by REX, and it was flown in real time yesterday afternoon. So, please fasten your seatbelt and observe the no smoking signs as the cabin crew prepares the cabin for take-off.

Posted Image

Initial climb out of Karratha and assuming my filed flight track.

Posted Image

About halfway into the climb, probably somewhere around about Karijini.

Posted Image

Pretty desolate down there... just like in real life.

Posted Image

Fast forward an hour and we've just passed top of descent... making contrails as we drop into moist air somewhere south of Morowa.

Posted Image

Arrival in Perth, and I've been vectored out to the west to make an ILS approach to Runway 03. Coincidentally, flying near my house, so quick trivia time... the Golf Course just to the right of the nose is Joondalup Resort, a fantastic place for a hit. The golf course tucked just off the port engine is Carramar, my local, and my house is not far from there at all. The long lake is Lake Joondalup, with considerably more water in it that in RL at the moment. The marina near the starboard engine is Mindarie, and the other smaller one is Ocean Reef. Well done to the ORBX team for the level of accurate detail achieved around here :)

Posted Image

Turning east over Garden Island to head for the localiser and thus onto my approach. The Henderson shipyards are just visible to the left of frame.

Oh, another thing I've been playing with and really loving - I downloaded the trial for Aivlasoft's Electronic Flightbag. I'm running it on an old PC I cobbled together out of spare parts, networked to my main PC and using Synergy to share the mouse and keyboard. It's displaying in portrait mode to an old LCD monitor I had lying around, and damn it's proving to be a useful addon! Most likely going to spring for it when my trial runs out, it's great having all the flight info at hand, and all the approach charts and airport diagrams generated on the fly. The second PC is also proving to be a bonus, as I've also offloaded PlanG and FSUIPC onto it to run over the network, and will likely move REX over there as well so I'm only running FSX on my main. Wish I'd thought of doing this ages ago, it's freed up a fair bit of processor time for FSX use! Fun times!!

Cheers,

Derek

Lovely screenies Derek.

Just a question regarding your last paragraph, I was under the impression that to have your REX textures on another drive ( or, exterior drive ) might cause problems in loading your themes into FSX. I might be wrong, but, I would suggest you checking that out before you go ahead and do it, just in case.

Cheerz. Transport Steve.

I can't see why it would pose any problems... I run REX on a different drive to FSX at the moment. But I'll look into it further :)

EDIT: Just to clarify, when I talk about running REX from another networked PC, I actually mean the REX weather engine, or WASys, and not the texture setup engine, which I have on the same PC but a separate drive to FSX.

Cheers,

Derek

Guest Dontay

Excellent post Derek! Thanks for sharing! Really like that livery and that fifth shot is probably my favorite.

Just as an aside, the REX WASys works just fine from a client PC, and has freed up a few extra CPU cycles on my main PC!! An updated simconnect file is needed to make it work, but you can get this from Tim and the team over at REX.

Cheers,

Derek

Hi Derek,

Great pictures and great info as well, that's really interesting.

On a side note I checked out your free tracking rig as well, :lol:, I have to say I'm up for that, :D

Thanks a lot for the great info...

cheers Phil

Archived