Story and aerial pictures!

alexf

For a long time I wanted to get invited to fly. After years, luck had it I met somebody with a plane, who invited me to fly and shoot. A biplane no less!

I jumped at the idea. He has a Great Lakes, open cockpit biplane, so no dirty windows to contend with. He emailed me this week saying there was a fly-in at Homestead Jet Port (X51) and would I like to fly with him? You can guess the immediate answer. He keeps the plane at Tamiami (KTMB), only 11 miles from X51, a short flight.

Posted Image

Not having flown before I was unsure of what to take. Wanted to have only one camera/lens as it would be inconvenient to carry more than that, and the weight in a biplane. I settled for the D700/24-70mm. It turned out to be a good choice for statics as I expected but not a great choice for aerials.

Posted Image

I did not know at the time but a friend of his was meeting us there. He has a Super Cub. My most-favorite plane of all time, is a J3 Piper Cub, and a Super-Cub, its descendant - by extension. I had never seen one in real life before! This day I got to see a few of them (2 J-3s in a hangar and my new friend's Super Cub), which I got to fly in!

Posted Image

It was a beautiful Florida day, just a little windy (15kts but luckily right on the runway heading).

We arrived at Homestead at noon.

Posted Image

Spent the day there with the people that flew in, having hot-dogs and talking aviation.

Then my friend says he would like to have some aerial photos of his plane. I would ride in the Super Cub, which can open the windows (we would be at 1,000ft) and shoot unimpeded.

Posted Image

We planned the flight. We would fly over the bay to have better backgrounds. I told them I could not get closeups with the 24-70 as we could not fly too close together. We decided to try anyway and some other time I'll bring a longer lens.

I did not do as good as I wanted on the aerials as I purposely used slow shutter speed to get prop-blur but did not account for the strong wind and my aircraft movement. I should been a tad faster. Most shots at 1/200 are not crisp. Some at 1/320 are better. They are shot at 1,000ft, doing 90mph Wish I had a longer lens with me.

Here are some of them.

Posted Image

7. over Key Biscayne

Posted Image

8. over Stiltsville

Posted Image

9. over Stiltsville

Posted Image

Had a great day!

Perfect for the next Nikon Pro Magazine! Which lens(es)?

You mean on this set? Like I said above 24-70/2.8 on a D700. Great for the statics (still have hundreds to process), but too short for the aerials as we wanted closeups of the plane, but could not come too close (obviously). I was not prepared as I didn't know the planes in advance. Left my longer lenses at home.

Thanks for the comments. It was great fun.

The rest of the shots will be posted at my gallery.

Shot 7 for me.

Although the "rust" is impressive on shot 9 .. :-X

Rust? There is no rust. The plane is cloth over spars. It is in great shape. It is just an artifact of the light in that shot that makes it look like that.

Archived