Piper PA-38 Tomahawk arrving

alexf

Piper PA-38 Tomahawk

While at a visit to Kendall-Tamiami airport, this beauty arrived. I had never seen one and as they parked next to me, I got to talk to the owner. Nice little plane.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Did 90% of my PPL training in a Tomahawk and loved it, it's a great little aircraft. Really nimble, a very different feel to the high-wing Cessnas. It's rated for spins (indeed watching the tail wobble about during a spin is one of the supposed reasons behind the "Traumahawk" moniker), not sure about other aeros.

Terrific visibility too.

Cheers, Iain

Same here Ian, before getting other endorsements, The Tomahawk is cheap to run and a great sight seeing aircraft but don't be in a hurry to go some place. Speed and range is in the 450Nm with 110 Kt Cruise from memory, but as a trainer it is brilliant.

Top Shots Alex

It is a fun, stable little plane but I heard that it snap-rolls like a banshee.

Indeed. Spins like one too. In fact it's a great plane for teaching spinning as it needs practically no persuasion whatsoever and will sit in one all day if you let it (and you have enough altitude).

Not like a 152/172 where you REALLY REALLY have to put a lot of effort in to get into a spin in the first place, and the aircraft will self-recover in a heartbeat if you don't hold the inputs. Of course, this is much safer, stabler, etc. but not so effective a learning exercise. I recall my instructor trying to balance a stalling Tomahawk on the rudder to avoid a spin, very, very difficult to do for any length of time, and usually ends in a few revolutions - but you certainly get to appreciate the controls!

Thumbs up from me.

Cheers, Iain

Indeed. Spins like one too. In fact it's a great plane for teaching spinning as it needs practically no persuasion whatsoever and will sit in one all day if you let it (and you have enough altitude).

Not like a 152/172 where you REALLY REALLY have to put a lot of effort in to get into a spin in the first place, and the aircraft will self-recover in a heartbeat if you don't hold the inputs. Of course, this is much safer, stabler, etc. but not so effective a learning exercise. I recall my instructor trying to balance a stalling Tomahawk on the rudder to avoid a spin, very, very difficult to do for any length of time, and usually ends in a few revolutions - but you certainly get to appreciate the controls!

Thumbs up from me.

Cheers, Iain

I never got any time in the Tomahawk. For slippery 2 seaters I had the pleasure of flying a 1971 American Aviation (pre Grumman) AA-1 Yankee coast to coast a few years back on a ferry flight. Short stubby wings gave it great cruise at sea level, about 120 kts on an O-235 engine. Tho with those stubby wings it wasn't exactly a climber...did get it up to 11,500 over the southwest tho. :) Kind of a slippery ship, I treated it like a high performance aircraft on landing lol

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Archived