gtx 580 shader clock...(noob question)

lthendrix

Hi all , My gtx 580 came with a utility called precision. It allows a person to change the shader clock speed.

at the moment it is set at default 1544 mhz.  will it make any difference if i move it to 1600 mhz thats what my 6 gigs of ram is 1600mhz.

does the ram mhz matter.  some of my "research" says that it could squeeze out a few more fps if I did this .

any one who has an opinion please respond. or should I just leave it alone ! ?

thanx for any help in advance. :)

Hi!

Shader clock is working with core clock on you GPU, you should always keep them working together, some overclocking software will let you raise one without raising the other, bottom line keep the core clock and the shader closk on your GPU link together.

Shader clock has nothing to do with the memory speed, unless I'm missing something here....

Alain so when you say together when I look at the settings  shader clk  at 1544

and memory clk  at 2004 always keep 460 difference between them or are you saying core clk. as the main processor speed 3.07 ghz

thanx for any help I seem comfortable asking you these dumb questions .  also if I increase this gpu settings would I have to fiddle with the bios and set "timing" in there

Alain so when you say together when I look at the settings  shader clk  at 1544

and memory clk  at 2004 always keep 460 difference between them or are you saying core clk. as the main processor speed 3.07 ghz

thanx for any help I seem comfortable asking you these dumb questions .  also if I increase this gpu settings would I have to fiddle with the bios and set "timing" in there

Your shader will move with your core.  So set your core to a safe OC like 850 and your memory to a safe setting  like 2050.  You don't need to overvolt at these settings.  An yes you will see your FPS go up by at least 10 and possible 30?? over the default.

Cheers

jja

JJA is right....

Core clock on your GPU as nothing to do with core clock on your CPU....

If using afterburner as your overclocking software you'll see core clock, shader clock and memory clock...when overclocking your GPU you raise the core clock and the shader clock will follow (they are link together) after finding the max overclock on the core you can after that raise the memory clock to find the max overclock on the memory.

I suspect you are not going to overclock using LN2 so there is nothing to change in the bios...... :)

By the way there is no dumb question related to PC's hardware.

Wow cool your jets turbos  hold on one min it all this utility shows me is Shader clock 1544 and memory clock at 2004 all i really want to know is can I increase this a bit without consequence. think of a newborn spat onto the floor thats me ... take it easy on me mon :-\

Chiefly directed at jjjallen,

I really appreciate your stand regarding the improvement in fps by overclocking a GPU. It seems from some reports that overclocking a GPU will help significantly but others report very little change. It might help all of us if we could figure out just what has to happen for GPU overclocking to be of value - certainly we should all try a 20% or so GPU overclock and try various situations (more Autogen, more scene density, more special effects, higher level water shaders, or whatever) to try to see when it is most useful. It also might be most useful for those who have the fastest CPU/memory configurations (4.0 Ghz i7 or above) so in their situation, the GPU might be holding them back. A lot of us are faced with the decision of whether to replace a 480 with a 580 and don't want to be disappointed if it doesn't pay off very much (of course there is more than an overclock involved in that but as Stephen (Spirit flyer) has stated in his comparison on this forum, he sets his 580 at 880Mhz or more and makes that the testpoint. Therefore, those of you who have already overclocked your GPU significantly - maybe 20% or so - if you could do a little comparison testing, it would be really appreciated by the rest of us.

Dave

Archived