the never ending fsx rig?

tommyov

i know its alot of question so just if you know something about one of them just deal with that thx...

few questions fist i want to know if getting more ram would help in any way?

i was also looking at the new pcie ssd and if that could be a good route to go in?

i cant seem to find anyone in toronto to help me with overclocking? i see alot of you have you i7 at 4ghz & up does everyone here just know how to OC i must have fallen asleep during that class..lol

and i just got my gtx 480 sc, what settings should i go with?

specs...

silverstone FT02 case

gigabyte p55a ud3

i7 870 @4ghz  ( would really like some help getting this higher and stable looking for 4.3ghz)

e.c.o water cooler

mushkin black line 1600 4 gb  (thinking of adding or not?)

two x25-m intel ssd 80 gb ( one for o/s and one for fsx...going to upgrade as im running out of room for fsx)

evga sc gtx 480

ultra 600w psu

W7 64b

Hi, I´ll try and answer some of your questions.

For me overclocking was a matter of studying guides on particular processors, and since on particular mainboards for the extra oomph.

More than 4 MB of ram would not benefit in the olden days with conventional Core2 processors, with your i7 870 I simply don´t know if you should go for 8 GB, I´d give it a try.

The EVGA forums have TONS of discussions on their hardware, I´m sure you can get some settings, otherwise, like I did, google a review on your gpu and get some hints on oc settings.

600W psu...I´m afraid you may run out of power. I´d say 750W or more, especially when you want to overclock and have your cooling running at max. You may hit an "overclock wall" due to lack of power.

Regards

Bjorn

Yes i would go for another 2Gb of Ram, To take it to 6Gb which i think is enough for FSX and i would up the PSU to a 850 Watt job or a little above i run a 1000 Watt one and it gives me no problems with power drain, Your card is fine no doubt with that and W7 64 bit is great if you are running out of room on your drives keep them use one for your W7 and the other one for REX if you use it and buy another for FSX and all your scenery and aircraft a 250 Gb one should surfice but in the end its all down to how much money you have or can spend as you say its a never ending story with this money draining hobby or addiction of ours. As for overclocking there are a good few posts here on the forum but these are for i7 chips but there will be plenty of infomation on the various overclockers web sites to give you some ideas.

cheers

Iain

Make sure your cpu/mobo will handle 6GB. Since you´re on 2x2GB it could mean your next upgrade would have to be 4x2GB?! I´m not familiar with your cpu, I admint. And don´t buy a single stick to try out, and then another if it doesn´t work out. You have to buy them paired to be sure they work properly.

B

Hi guys. I'm also interested in the psu idea. I have a feeling my just doesn't cut it. Can anyone recommend a good one to suit my specs below?

Cheers

Don´t feel it, prove it ;D Just kidding. Though 600 W could be struggling. OCCT will tell you how your voltages are. But for this generation of gpu´s and an overclocked cpu I wouldn´t go with less than 750 W. I have a Corsair HX series, they´re quality, and above all: quiet (I´m not bothered but my surroundings might be ::))

Bjorn

You´re most welcome :) You can post the read-outs if you get a core #something error (to be expected if for example psu is not sufficient), and we can have a look. Just to remind you, don´t choose the PSU stress test, when I did that once, I quickly reached max. temp. on my cpu :o. So, just use the regular 1 hour stress test, no hyperthreading. 8)

B

Archived