thinking about new machine

lthendrix

PROCESSOR Overclocked Intel® Core™ i7 980x Extreme Six Core Processor (3.73GHz, 12MB Cache)

OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English

VIDEO CARD Single 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 480

MEMORY 6GB  Triple Channel 1600MHz DDR3

HARD DRIVE 600GB - SATA-II, 3Gb/s, 10k RPM, 32MB Cache HDD

OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

Hi all can any one give me any opinions negative or positive about the above set up for fsx or should I wait and see if prices go down or technology evolves ?

thanks in advance.

Close to what I just bought, same video card, same ram (I went with Mushkin Redline as recommended by a few here), I went with an i7 950 processor to save money.

For the hard drive I went twin G.Skill Phoenix Pro SSD's (again as recommended by some here) - SSD's will beat even the western digital velociraptors from what I've read by a fair margin. Depends how much space you need of course, over 120GB's the price goes up fairly high but if you're buying that processor you probably can afford the SSD's too :P

I think that I should sack up and build my own machine instead of buying one ........I guess what is holding me back is that if it does not work there is no one to blame except me !

I know all the parts I need but don't know the first thing about putting them together.

another daunting fact is that when building my own system the choices are unlimited.....and I have never really liked unlimited choices...Hell I have used the same brand of soap to wash with my whole life.!...........its Lava soap btw lol.

any way glad I know the advice is here once I grow a pair . ;D

I think that I should sack up and build my own machine instead of buying one ........I guess what is holding me back is that if it does not work there is no one to blame except me !

I know all the parts I need but don't know the first thing about putting them together.

another daunting fact is that when building my own system the choices are unlimited.....and I have never really liked unlimited choices...Hell I have used the same brand of soap to wash with my whole life.!...........its Lava soap btw lol.

any way glad I know the advice is here once I grow a pair . ;D

Just did my first self build yesterday, it really isn't that hard in the end. The worst part was figuring out what cables went where on the motherboard, and that only took an hour or so and was just a matter of reading the manuals. Took about 6 hours total from scratch to Windows startup. Key is when you're not quite sure, just read until you are sure, post on a forum etc. Watching youtube videos helps too.

Building yourself gives you that sense of accomplishment, it's cheaper, and after having done it once you'll never think twice about doing it again.

I bought a small PC toolkit with my parts on Newegg and I'm glad I did - had a bunch of small sized screwdrivers etc which were very handy esp for installing the motherboard, I'd recommend looking at one (nice having non magnetic too), makes it easier.

Archived