Ram for NH-D14

Alex 450

Hi all,

I have almost finished building my brand new computer, and I expected it to be finished by early next month. Since the system contains the i7 980x (which will be OC'ed  to 4ghz plus), I wanted to include the beasty Noctua NH-D14. The problem is, I can not find any good 2000mhz RAM that will help run  the i7 980x in harmony, with the NH-D14. Do i need to find an alternative cooler?

Cheers,

Alex

Which ram did you have in mind?

Looking at the suspension of the front fan it´ll mount higher on the heatsink. That´s what I´ve done to my Scythe fan. Now, depending on how tall you want your ram, I´d say it could be done by mounting it ½ an inch or so higher without reducing effective surface coverage. When the fan frame is flush along the top of the heat sink the fan will reach beyond the lower edge of the grill. Should make no difference to performance if it covered a small empty space above the grill. Otherwise, perhaps you could place the front fan onto the backside and make it pull?! Could reduce effectivity marginally from what I´ve read, but would depend on how extremely you´re going to clock the beast.

Bjorn

There is no 2000MHz low profile, they all have some tall Heat Spreader, the only 2000MHz I've found who will work with the NH-D14 are these but you will have to offset the first fan a little (see the pics below) these are the one I'm using for my new rig.

https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=WX200UX6G7&title=Super-Talent-Speed-Series-DDR3-2000-6GB-3x2GB-CL7-Triple-Channel-Memory-Kit

Not only that but the timing is VERY good at 2000MHz 7-7-7-20..........eeeeeeeeeeee

The first fan has been raised a little here, that will not impact the air flow or the temp.....

Posted Image

I have not raised the first fan in this picture...as you can see the rams are to close to the fan....

[img width=933 height=700]http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn153/alainneedle1/010.jpg

Thanks for the answers guys. I guess im going to have to go with the Supertalent RAM. I was think about the dominator GT, but it looks like that needs a separate cooler just for that, so i aint taking the chance of my rams blowing up  ;D

Cheers

Alex

Quick question for Alain,

Did you get the RAM off this site? Is it safe?

Cheers

Alex

Yes I did get them from this site, no problem at all......good company. Don't know if they will ship in UAE but if you have a good friend in the state he can send them to you....

I forgot to ask....what mpbp will you be using for your new rig?

Archived