Missing Boot Manager, how to fix.

TenBlade

After some tech problems with my new rig I got the dreaded "Boot Manager Missing press ctrl+alt+del to reboot" message at boot-up. I booted from OS disc, chose repair, it said OK, but yet again "Boot Manager Missing press ctrl+alt+del to reboot" >:(??? You can do this over and over again to no avail. I formatted and reinstalled everything on that account just recently when putting together my new rig.

Now, I found the solution on a website where they take pride in the title Geek ;). I can´t get too technical, but the way I see it, Win 7 seems to put the boot mgr where ever the heck it sees fit (makes sense?! :-X). And in my case it was probably not on my C-drive. And the rewiring had somehow applied stealth mode to the secondary hdd, though it showed in BIOS.

So, to make a short story long, I disconnected my secondary hdd. Booted from OS cd again, chose repair, then got a more substantial menu to choose from this time. From the top I chose "Startup Repair". And the repair-stuff actually worked this time ::). My usual expectations to any M$ promise of repairs are low...

After resetting TH2G (new easy setup) and installing my gpu driver again, I reconnected the 2ndary hdd. It auto-installed a driver for that particular Samsung hdd, and that made a smaller, previously hidden/forgotten partition reappear.

And now I´m good to go  8)

Bjorn

Well, the boot manager doesn't fail out of nowhere. Usually...

You did move your C: drive SATA cable in another plug after installing Windows, did you ? That would cause boot manager to fail (usually).

The cables in the sata connectors didn´t move, but they could´ve been switched at the other end.

See, that´s the greatest thing about you people and this site, you learn something all the time. And often within the hour 8).

Now, I know how NOT to get the error, and how to fix it, if a cable switch is necessary. Thanks, mate!

Bjorn

Archived