New Video Card for my Rig

Matthew Kane

Hi all,

I am new on here but it is the FTX that has drawn me here. I am enjoying it but I do recognize I need to beef up my system a little.

I was thinking of getting a GeForce GTX 460 1024MB video card to replace my GeForce 9600GT. This seems to be my biggest bottle neck for the moment.

My current system is Asus P5N-D with a Q6600 Quad Core. 4MB ram, Win7 64-bit.

If I did this upgrade would I see a value added performance increase??? I just want to slide a few of those sliders a little more to the right.

Thanks guys

Unfortunately can't totally help you on your question but just wanted to say hi to a fellow Ontarian  ;D  Flew to your home base this spring

You fly realworld of YTZ?

I'm looking at building a system myself - great advice here, I'm going with the 480 but seems the 400 series overall is quite good.

Posted Image

Hi David,

Thanks for the message. I do fly real world out of Island Airport or Billy Bishop as it is called now. I fly with Island Air just renting the ole C150's from time to time.

You fly real world as well?

Yep, I fly out of YFD, that pic is from when I flew into YTZ this spring. It's amazing how tall the downtown buildings are even when you're in the circuit there.

Hi David,

Thanks for the message. I do fly real world out of Island Airport or Billy Bishop as it is called now. I fly with Island Air just renting the ole C150's from time to time.

You fly real world as well?

Yep, I fly out of YFD, that pic is from when I flew into YTZ this spring. It's amazing how tall the downtown buildings are even when you're in the circuit there.

that's true, they appear just over your shoulder and above you on approach. It is neat.

It is also great on those days with a good headwind on approach as the lake has some nice consistent winds without gusts. You can do some great STOL's on those days.

I've never flown over to YFD. Usually we go up to Muskoka or Peterborough to stay away from Pearson's traffic.

If you are into FSX a lot and are planning on upgrading your video card I highly recommend getting one with more that 1GB of memory. I have the GTX285 with 2GB and last night I was running some tests around Hervey Bay in some decent aircraft and using GPU-Z to monitor vid card memory usage I saw the memory used go to over 1.2GB with some of the higher settings. I am running a 30" monitor at 2560x1600 but even a 24" you would likely see the same.

Now, if you get anywhere near close to maxing out the memory usage on the video card you will start to see stutters and a frame rate drop. FSX uses loads of video card memory if you crank up the settings. Going with more than 1GB is definitely worth the extra cost.

I suspect that a current gen video card will uncover the shortcomings of your CPU and board .... that said, a Vid card by far the easiest upgrade, and transferrable if you change the other components.

I run a Q6600 in a media centre (not FSX) so I do have a feel for the difference.

With current gen CPUs we forget what a CPU beast FSX was - in fact for a great while it seemed destined to be CPU bound forever.

You will still need to make some serious compromises with your sliders ... but should see some improvement.

Thanks Guys...

For now I will do the Video Card route and have no problem with the rest of the system in the mean time.

I am moving to New Zealand from Canada in January so the new Video Card will come with me as well as the hard drives and Saitek Gear. The rest of my current system I'll sell off on Craigslist  ;D

I will go the I7 route after I move to New Zealand. I just want to ship as little as possible.

Moving is expensive and things with weight will cost you...Otherwise I would be purchasing a lot more if it wasn't for that

Cheers

I thought about that too. But by the time you buy things in Canada and pay to ship them the price goes up considerably due to the cost of shipping things... :(

An I7 chip and things like RAM would be a good idea to buy here before I move as that can easlily be stuffed in the luggage. But an entire system weighs too much and would cost a lot to ship.

I can buy a new case and motherboard when I get to New Zealand.   

Upgrading to a GTX 460 1GB would certainly give you a very big performance increase

..and also the ability to use the latest driver and use nVidia Inspector to get higher IQ.

Have Fun with the 460.  It is a great card for the $$.

jja

A Q 6600 and a P5n motherboard? I would think that a 460 would be hamperd by the older system. Your system will bottleneck the card and you will not see the performance increase, probably more stutters. IMHO. I agree that you should buy the mo.bo. and cpu and ram here, everything else there. Dont forget I think they run on a DC system there dont they, so you will have to buy a converter for your comp. But I'm not sure.

Thanks guys for your help and comments. I ended up getting an EVGA GTX465 1024MB. I have noticed an improvement over the 9600GT as I can now run FSX in YMML with all options on sitting in a Captain Sims 767. The 3D Flight Deck loads up and displays a lot quicker and switching between views is faster.

I will probably start buying up the I7 and the next upgrades in January before we move. For now the system is good enough.

Cheers

Archived