DDR2 Ram replacement

mozzy_06

My Corsair ram modules are playing up and I need to replace them. I was hoping to find 2 x 4gb CL5 - 8500 modules to get 8GB of memory but I can't - at least not here on Oz. There are plenty of DDR3 4GB sticks but no DDR2. My EP35-DS3P mobo is only ddr2 :-[

I don't want to spend huge wads of cash on a system that is running well but I'd love to add more ram. I guess the other alternative is to get a new Socket 775 DDR3 compatible board.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I guess 3 x 2GB would help?

I don't think I've ever seen 4GB DDR2 modules, they only seem to go up to 2GB.  So I guess you'd need to go 4 x 2GB modules (2 x 4GB kits) like these ones here.

Thanks. I had considered the 4 x 2GB route but I believe 2 sticks are better than 4 for overclocking which I'm currently doing with my rig.

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/101742/MEMORY_DDR-2_RAM/Kingston/KVR800D2N6K2_8G.asp

That's the only thing I found....don't know if this will work?

Thanks Alan, well spotted. I think I'll go for the 4 x 2gb @ 1066mhz as this speed sits well with my current OC. In a year or so opt for a whole new PC.

Hope you'll get the same OC with 4 stick......it's usually harder to OC with 4 stick than 2 cause you put more stress on the mobo by having to raise the voltage on the N & S bridge to get stable....good luck .

I made a great discovery when tweaking the BIOS settings after the installation of the new sticks ( 8GB of GEIL DDR2 1066 - 5-5-5-15).

I had previously added a little extra voltage to my FSB to get my overclock but decided this time to further increase the FSB speed and wind back the RAM divider a little to see how it would perform. I managed to get 450 on the FSB after gradually incrementing the voltage step by step above my previous setting. So the RAM's now running at 1:1 with the FSB and even though I've set the timings to AUTO the numbers don't seem to bad.

I did discover when running Prime95 to test the OC that core 4 was failing a lot so the Core voltage is a step higher to accommodate that anomaly (my MB does not support separate core voltage adjustments).

Anyway, I'm stoked. This overclock is much more stable and I think the GPU is running more efficiently - or is this just my imagination?. I assume that increased FSB speed means faster throughput to the GPU?

Here's the CPUZ screens.

Posted Image

Archived