Optimised SSD

alan2

I do not own a SSD yet but seeing that you can't defrag a SSD i thought this might be of interest to those who do

In our last newsletter, you had a peek at the new O&O Defrag 14. Not surprisingly, what really aroused great interest was the world's first feature for optimizing solid state drives (SSD) of any make. As a result of the many questions that came in about this, we've prepared a white paper that goes into this subject in great detail. 

Our white paper will tell you why SSDs have a life expectancy of only a maximum 10.000 to 100.000 write/delete cycles. You can also learn how the new O&O Defrag 14 will not only help you extend the life expectancy of SSDs, but also increase their performance dramatically.

The had a pdf link in the email that doesn't show up here , Im sure there must be something on their site.

I don't doubt what you say Alan, but it flies in the face of everything that has been said up to this pint by the manufacturers and the Guru's (who don't always get it right).

The Fact that it's being said by a commercial company that sell the software would make me question those findings.

How about somebody independant who has nothing to gain?

Interesting all the same.

Frank

Random reads on my OCZ SSD's are **MUCH** faster that serial reads, so no defragging for me, but *TRIM* is required to notify the OS that there are "used" blocks that need to be marked as "free for use".  This I do use and it's simple drag some unwanted stuff to the recycle bin and then emptying the bin will cause TRIM to start.  Doing this and leaving the PC [usually this laptop] idling for an hour or so usually solves the issue.  The disk activity light will, very roughly, indicate the "start/finish" of TRIM.

M.

Archived