GTX 480 with OCCT GPU stress test

alainneedle1

To all of you using an overclocked GTX 480....would you mind stress testing your card with GPU OCCT and report back.....

I'm asking because I get random freeze with OCCT GPU stress test but I'm fine if I use MSI Kumbuster so I need to know if OCCT is pushing the card to far compare to Kumbuster or if OCCT is screwed up......

Hi,

I have used GPU OCCT to test my factory OC:ed card. No problems.

The GPU OCCT puts a very heavy load on the GPU and temps go a lot higher compared to flying in FSX. What temp do you have before your system freezes?

Hi,

I have used GPU OCCT to test my factory OC:ed card. No problems.

The GPU OCCT puts a very heavy load on the GPU and temps go a lot higher compared to flying in FSX. What temp do you have before your system freezes?

Thank you, UlfB....

That's what I was thinking about OCCT because the temp I'm getting with MSI Kumbuster are a lot lower compare to OCCT....

Temp are in check.......78C at 99% load for one hour of stress testing with OCCT at 800MHz on core clock / 2000MHz on memory clock and core voltage (mV) at 1050

The default clock on this card is 756MHz on core clock and 1900Mhz on memory clock....

The card is freezing if I try to go over 800MHz....I may need a little more core voltage (mV)....

I would like to know from other guys here who have overclocked their cards from  default what kind of result you are getting with OCCT  compare to MSI Kumbuster .......

UPDATE:

OK after more testing with GPU:OCCT for severals hours at full screen, shader complexity Optimal 8, Error Check and resolution at 1920 X 1080 here is the best I can do with my card .....temp stayed at 78C at full load (99%)....temp idle at 35C.

Core Voltage (mV) .....1075

Core Clock (MHz)........820

Core Shader (Mhz).....1640

Memory Clock (MHz)...1947

Fan Speed (%)...........70

So OCCT is working fine, anything higher than that on any sliders beside the fan speed slider and the card will freeze after 3 minutes no matter what combination I'm trying.

With MSI Kombuster I can push the card up to 880MHz on the core clock 2100MHz on the memory clock with 1100mV on the core voltage for one hour + but the card will freeze playing games after 15 minutes up to one hours depending on the game.

So my conclusion is this, OCCT will give you a lower overclock compare to MSI but your card will be 100% stable after reaching one hour of stress testing with OCCT.

It would be nice if somebody else try both stress test software on their manually overclocked card and post their result here so we can all compare our finding....

UPDATE:

OK after more testing with GPU:OCCT for severals hours at full screen, shader complexity Optimal 8, Error Check and resolution at 1920 X 1080 here is the best I can do with my card .....temp stayed at 78C at full load (99%)....temp idle at 35C.

Core Voltage (mV) .....1075

Core Clock (MHz)........820

Core Shader (Mhz).....1640

Memory Clock (MHz)...1947

Fan Speed (%)...........70

So OCCT is working fine, anything higher than that on any sliders beside the fan speed slider and the card will freeze after 3 minutes no matter what combination I'm trying.

With MSI Kombuster I can push the card up to 880MHz on the core clock 2100MHz on the memory clock with 1100mV on the core voltage for one hour + but the card will freeze playing games after 15 minutes up to one hours depending on the game.

So my conclusion is this, OCCT will give you a lower overclock compare to MSI but your card will be 100% stable after reaching one hour of stress testing with OCCT.

It would be nice if somebody else try both stress test software on their manually overclocked card and post their result here so we can all compare our finding....

Those numbers look about right Alan and jive with what the my 460 can do.  Thanks for taking the time to do the BM.

jja

Depends on if you are CPU bound or not like near a major airport.  The main advantage of GPU OClking would be enroute with clouds ect..

jja

Might be true. I haven't tested that yet, but will do. But I suspect that the bottleneck on my system isn't the GTX480 and it's ability to process a lot of cloud textures. I suspect that the bottleneck is FSXs (CPUs) ability to process and transfer the cloud textures to the graphics card. But that's just my guess.

I'll do some testing with several dense cumulus cloud layers  ;D

I did a test with three dense cumulus cloud layers and with my GTX480 at 756MHz and at 825MHz.

No difference in average fps.

No noticable difference in IQ and smoothness.

Maybe the results would be different on another system with faster mobo, CPU and memory.

Might be true. I haven't tested that yet, but will do. But I suspect that the bottleneck on my system isn't the GTX480 and it's ability to process a lot of cloud textures. I suspect that the bottleneck is FSXs (CPUs) ability to process and transfer the cloud textures to the graphics card. But that's just my guess.

I'll do some testing with several dense cumulus cloud layers  ;D

AI traffic can also cause a 40+ FPS hit at a busy airport.  I found this out outside of LA when I toggled UTII traffic off (ctrl+shift+t).

The moral of the story is that FPS is a lousy way to BM FSX unless you can control all the factors.

jja

Archived