Easiest reinstall of OS/settings on new PC?!

TenBlade

I´ve never done much in backing up more than the most necessary files, and I´d just burn a CD. Being on the verge of building a new system, could I use a back-up program to to easily restore my C-drive? I expect I´d have to re-install OS, but in stead of going through all the settings, and importing saved e-mails etc. could I use a back-up? Recently I saw Macrium Reflect mentioned, I would go for that program.

Bjorn

I´ve never done much in backing up more than the most necessary files, and I´d just burn a CD. Being on the verge of building a new system, could I use a back-up program to to easily restore my C-drive? I expect I´d have to re-install OS, but in stead of going through all the settings, and importing saved e-mails etc. could I use a back-up? Recently I saw Macrium Reflect mentioned, I would go for that program.

Bjorn

Macrium Reflect has never let me down, Acronis on the other hand!

Bryan.

So, you´re saying I can apply sort of a copy of my current C-drive to a new rig, then? :)

B

As far as I know yes, but don't quote me, head over to the macrium forums and ask your questions there.  The Developers are very active and every question seems to get an answer.

Bryan.

Well, you can´t sign up for the forum unless you´ve already bought their product ??? From what I gather you can port your c-drive to a similar pc, and my new build is in no way going to be similar. So, I might as well just burn all my zip-files onto a disk, and re-install everything the hard way ::)

B

Bjorn, why not disk image using Win 7 Backup to an external hard drive. Then restore from that to the new machine? Unless I am missing something I can not see why this would not work. It is obvious of course, that both old and new machines must have Win 7 installed as the primary operating system.

Well, you can´t sign up for the forum unless you´ve already bought their product ??? From what I gather you can port your c-drive to a similar pc, and my new build is in no way going to be similar. So, I might as well just burn all my zip-files onto a disk, and re-install everything the hard way ::)

B

Don't forget you can download a trial of the full version, and I can acess certain parts of the forums even without being signed in so you should be able to ask any questions you have about the product.

If all else fails shoot them an e mail explaining you are interested in purchasing their product.

Bryan.

One has a natural tendency to not trust MS functionality. But if it´s that easy AND reliable, I should try it. Would however require me to purchase an external drive. I will however have a look at the trial version, if it will compress it all onto a CD, that would probably be easier.

Thanks for your input, guys.

B

Archived