Socket 1366 and required ram

TenBlade

Pardon my probably dumb question. Can you run with only two sticks of ram on a socket 1366 board?

I will of course aim for 3x2GB, but I´m reluctant to just buy one extra stick of the same kind. I read it´s recommended to get the three rams from the same package to ensure things´ll run smoothly. And since funds are poored into the baby stuff suppliers pockets in preparation of fammily expansion in November, I´m trying to estimate how far my I can go on my chosen budget for my upgrade. And I just purchased a brand new digital wide screen HD Sony videocam, so tech-funds are about to run on vapors ::)

Bjorn

Alain

It depends on the i7:

i7 9xx series run triple channel DDR3 and are usually configured as 3, 6, 12 GB (need 3 slots occupied usually) ie 3 x 1GB or 3 x 2 GB and so on. (Socket 1366)

i7 8xx series run dual channel DDR3 and are usually configured as 2, 4, 8, 16 GB (socket 1156)

Regards :)

PeterH

Alain

It depends on the i7:

i7 9xx series run triple channel DDR3 and are usually configured as 3, 6, 12 GB (need 3 slots occupied usually) ie 3 x 1GB or 3 x 2 GB and so on. (Socket 1366)

i7 8xx series run dual channel DDR3 and are usually configured as 2, 4, 8, 16 GB (socket 1156)

Regards :)

PeterH

Yeap! I should have explained it like you did, my explaination was a little to simple....  i5 is socket 1156.

His question was about 2 stick of ram in a 1366.....nop you can't do that it's 3x 1GB, 3 x 2GB,  3 x 4GB, 6 x 2GB or 6 x 4GB.

Thank you for correcting me.

Archived