Have you seen this HD SSD's ? PCI

Nyxx

Just in case you guys want to buy one of those....STAY AWAY from it.......because they lacks of TRIM and GARBAGE support so no Performance Optimization:Background Garbage Collection (GC)

I read they dont need it?

"No one knows much about garbage coillection and TRIM is not supported. Some techy explanation would be nice but its all conjecture and gossip.

* This card uses SANDFORCE controllers, so the above is not really necessary."

---

http://techgage.com/article/ocz_revodrive_120gb_pci_express_ssd/

---

and

Moving beyond the bottleneck of SATA 3 Gb/s, the OCZ RevoDrive features a PCIe interface to deliver superior speeds over 500 MB/s reads and random small file writes up to 80,000 IOPS, nearly twice the speed of other consumer SSDs. Thanks to a proprietary RAID 0 design, the RevoDrive maximizes data access and bandwidth to promote a faster, more responsive PC experience compared to not only hard drives, but other SSDs on the market.

“The RevoDrive is the first PCIe SSD that delivers both performance and affordability and radically alters the SSD landscape,†said Ryan Petersen, CEO of the OCZ Technology Group. “Up to this point PCIe SSDs have been reserved for enterprise applications and priced out of the range of many consumers, the bootable RevoDrive SSD changes the game by delivering a PCIe based solution that costs as low as $3 per gigabyte, exceptional small file write IOPS of over 80K, which is the most available in any low-cost solution.â€

Unlike competing PCIe solutions, the RevoDrive is bootable, ensuring the satisfaction of quicker boot-ups, load times, and computing, all while promoting cooler, quieter, and more energy efficient conditions compared to traditional mechanical hard drives.

Offering ample storage for the latest operating systems, game titles, and applications, the OCZ RevoDrive will be initially available in 120GB and 240GB capacities, with MSRPs of $389.99 and $699.99.*

Quote from the article.... 

At this time it does not appear background garbage collection is working, either. Although these controllers are resilient, after running our battery of tests we reran HD Tach and observed the following result:

Let's be clear, even with this issue present it did not hamper the RevoDrive from delivering the best results we've seen to date in our benchmarks. This condition shouldn't change much further than this, but we can see that performance is no longer the same as it was with the drive in its factory fresh state.

Additionally, because of the RAID controller, users cannot secure erase the drive (such as with HDD Erase) to restore the "new" factory fresh state. OCZ is reportedly working on software tool that will allow manual TRIMing of RevoDrives and Z-Drives, but there is no idea when this tool will be become available for use.

=========================================================================================

The performance of the drive is reduced and will decline more with usage.....why will they work on a solution if it's not a problem to start with.....you always pay for what you get... that's a x4 PCIe SSD

Myself would not spend $600.00+ on this card knowing it will not perform as good 6 month down the road as it did brand new...

This is what I have x 8 PCIe  http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/solid-state-drives/pci-express/z-drive-r2/mlc-performance-series/ocz-z-drive-r2-p84-pci-express-ssd.html

Thanks for preventing me from making a mistake, Alain. I had that very card on my wish list today. And I agree, you get what you pay for (mostly), but thought the convenient price (same as regular SSD of same size) lay in the mediocre memory size.

Bjorn

Thanks for preventing me from making a mistake, Alain. I had that very card on my wish list today. And I agree, you get what you pay for (mostly), but thought the convenient price (same as regular SSD of same size) lay in the mediocre memory size.

Bjorn

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad card if you don't care about performance degradation.

So your saying wait for the Trim versions to come out?

If i upgrade soon them might stay with the Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive running on a SATA III mobo

/shrug

So your saying wait for the Trim versions to come out?

If i upgrade soon them might stay with the Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive running on a SATA III mobo

/shrug

Yes to the question on the trim version.

I was asking questions around from other peoples just to reinforced what I was thinking at first about SSD, HDD and stuff, I wanted to know what was the best solution as far as SSD for FSX, my first solution was the best...the card I have right now, the second best is a good  dedicated 300-400 dollar+ PCIe x4-x8 controller card with SSD, I choose the first solution because if you add the cost of the controller card + a good SSD your up to $800.00 > $1,000.00.

Here is one answwer I got when asking about SATAIII from somebody else.....

QUOTE "  SATAIII is a marketing gimmick, dont use the Marvel ports on that board. Asus has been telling people in support that the Marvel drivers for the SATAIII posts on that board are unstable and if you use the port to use the Windows7 driver that installs by default when Windows installs.

But none the less, when it comes to mechanical drives and motherboard SATAIII, its a joke. You would be far better off on a 3rd party controller card with a SATAIII drive than using the motherboard ports. Instead of that expense, I would go with SSD drives and install the Intel RST drivers for the ICH10 SATA ports, a far better solution since Windows7 will configure itself correctly for SSD if it is installed on SSD.

When it comes to storage performace, if you are looking for max perf then SSD is the solution. A dedicated 300-400 dollar+ PCIe x4-x8 controller card with SSD is the ultimate. The next step down is SSD drives and install the Intel RST drivers for the ICH10 SATA ports which obtains the highest perf for the least cost, next step down is a 300-400 dollar+ PCIe x4-x8 controller card and mechanical Vrap 300/600 drives, the next step down is 300/600 Vraps on the Intel SATA ports and last and for the strict budget, a 1TB or 2TB drive mechanical drive on the Intel SATA ports.

You must take into account your needs when it comes to storage size too. If you use a lot of photoscenery then SSD can be limiting due to the amount of storage they allow and with any mechanical drive you must be sure to take into account the MAX fill level of those drives as 2/3 (66%) or above that value the performance will drop like a rock. I keep my mechancial drives at 50% or less for max access performance. With SSD you can fill to 90%

but skip the Marvel SATAIII motherboard ports for now. I think it wont be till the next round of motherboards they get the bugs worked out of them

and when I say "A dedicated 300-400 dollar+ PCIe x4-x8 controller card" thats NOT a 100-300 dollar SATAIII or SATA RAID card.. those are as much of a joke as the motherboard ports.. I am talking about professional SATA RAID cards that start at 300 dollars and can go as high as several thousand per card. The budget version of those professional cards go for between 350 and 600 dollars which is why SSD on the Intel ICH 10 ports and the RST drivers Intel provides is the best solution for perf-vs-cost as long as the storage capacity is in line with your total flight sim install and will not exceed a fill of 90% of the SSD drive. end of quote"

Archived