Please check these specs to buy a new FSX-rig Is 10,000RPM HD worth it?

alexf

I am ready to buy a new PC after 4 years. I already have a GTX-480 so I included a cheaper card (it will go to my current box as secondary PC).

Is a Western Digital Velociraptor 10,000 RPM better for FSX? Des it make a difference over the usual 7,200 RPM? I already have an external 1TB for backups so I figure any internal over 500GB is fine (I also have an extra 500Gb from my old computer that I plan to install as a secondary HD here).

This is what I'm configuring but I am not a hardware expert. My budget is US$2,000 so this fits within (link is only available for 7 days in the supplier's site. I plan to buy before then):

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1CLWGQ

Is liquid cooling advisable?

Is the case OK or is there one better? My main concern is temperature and noise control. Bays to install some of my older HDs is secondary.

Any changes to this setup, recommendations from more knowledgeably guys, is very welcome, as long as I stay within $2k budget.

Thanks!

Yes a raptor 10,000 rpm is better for FSX,if you can get this one with your rig ....600GB Gaming Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000RPM SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache WD6000HLHX (Single Hard Drive) ...... it is faster than the regular raptor 300GB, you may be able to sell the other hardrive you have tp offset the cost.

So far you have a very good rig.

By the way, you'r in Miami.....have you think about going to compUSA and ask them how much it will cost you to have them built the same rig for you? The good think about it is you don't have to buy another GPU since you already have one, give them what you have + what you need ....you may save some $$$ by doing so. They build one for me a long time ago. You may save on parts too......  DAM $10.00 less than what I've paid... 

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5592441&CatId=99

As far as water cooling.....it depend how far you want to overclock.....a good air cooler like the one I have is ranked the best as far as air cooling....

From what i've read about obsidian 800D case, its perfect for liquid cooling becouse there is alot of space for radiator and other parts, but for air cooling the case has awful airflow and is not worth the price for air cooling.

If your main concerne is heat and noise.

Go liquid cooling ;D

I changed a week ago from air to liquid.

I can tell you if you go liquid you never go back to air.

In my experiance the velociraptor ist worth the extra money

I have a dual booth system .

1 velociraptor for my FSX (only FSX nothing else)

And 1x500gb WD for FSX to experiment with and other programs.

My experience the 10000 rpm ist worth the extra mony 8)

Added a WD 600GB 10,000 rpm.

Thanks everybody. Ordered the box today. Will be here in a week or so.

High FPS here I come!

YBBN is my lowest/toughest to handle. Will see what I get now (<10 fps there before)

Im not sure if antec 1200 has dust filters, but antec 900 didn't have, and itwould become really dusty inside after 2 days in my room. It's not about i have messy room, i cleaned my room same time i cleaned my computer, 2 days later it was full of dust... Nothing like that with current fractal r2 that has filters.

So if getting antec 1200, i advice getting dust filters.

An Antec 1200 is the best case I have ever seen. The filter is washable.With it's six fans it is surprisingly cool.

The Velociraptor is noticeably faster.

I hesitate to reccomend further, but if you can get then within your budget I would suggest an Asus Rampage board and a 980 CPU.

The Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU cooler dual 120mm LED fans is the best by far.

Thanks. As posted above, I already bought and it is being built right now.

Thermaltake  V3 mid-tower i7-940 2.94 Ghz - 120mm fans - WD HD 600Gb 10K RPM and 1TB STAT 3.0 7200 RPM HD  - 12GB RAM - 850W power supply - Win7 Pro 64Bit

Archived